UKC

Parking Poser

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 15 May 2014
I parked tidily (I thought) in a road about half a mile from my local train station. No road markings, no (apparent) signage on lamp-posts or other street furniture.

On return to car after about 8 hours I found I'd incurred a ticket. Apparently the whole area is a parking-resticted zone. Closer inspection revealed a single sign (about a foot in size) on a lamp post about 500 yards away from my 'legitimate' parking slot.

Went on-line & saw that a local by-law had been enacted which said that any car parked in the area between 11-12.00 (1 hour) would be deemed illegal (presumably to prevent commuters parking there)

All fine - if that's the case, I'm bang to rights. My query is the poor signage, which can be easily missed, leaving a non-local in the dark about restrictions.

Anyone encountered this before?
 Kieran_John 15 May 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

There's quite a lengthy description here of the legislation for parking signs:

http://www.ticketfighter.co.uk/signregs.htm

I wouldn't just accept it, if it genuinally appeared to be legitimate I'd appeal.

Just because something has been put in place doesn't mean it's legal or right, I live near York and there was an issue there recently where the council designated a certain road/bridge a 'bus lane' but put up next to no signs (until it was too late) and fined countless drivers £60. It ended up being ruled 'unlawful' after a number of months:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-26841421

Similar to you, it was aimed at trapping non-locals.
OP Greenbanks 15 May 2014
In reply to Kieran_John:

Thanks John. Yes, as indicated in the OP, I'll pay straight away if its all clear etc - I just sense that the local council is not being fully transparent with signage. Were they clear I'd certainly not be parking there
 Dan Arkle 15 May 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

If you can be bothered then contest it, it sounds unfairly signed. It may have been signed as you enter the area, as in Controlled Parking Zone.

I disagree with the 'trapping non-locals ' idea.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Hanlons Razor
OP Greenbanks 15 May 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:
>Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity<....or lack of visibility!

The New NickB 15 May 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

They have an obligation to adequately sign restrictions, either thought road markings, signs or both. Adequate is defined in the regs. From your description, it doesn't sound as if they have met the regs.

It is probably worth appealing on the basis that you could not reasonably be aware of parking restrictions, based on their inadequate signage. Include pictures / distances etc. The actual regulations can be a bugger to find, but include them as well if you can find them.
 Dan Arkle 15 May 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

The 'stupidity' part wasn't aimed at you, sorry.
The system is stupid sometimes. I expect it was a reasonable idea for a scheme to help the local resident locals, rushed through by an overworked and budget slashed roads team, and implemented by the lowest bidding cowboy contractor, who doesn't know or care about the regs.

balmybaldwin 15 May 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

I thought this would be about someone handbrake turning into their parking space
 JimboWizbo 15 May 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Street view?
 andrewmc 15 May 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

You should probably complain about the signage in any event.

If you feel the ticket is genuinely unfair due to the inadequate signage, I think it would be entirely legitimate to appeal. Even if your appeal is denied you usually get to still pay at the reduced 'pay-quickly' rate (although check this?), and you will have raised awareness of the poor signage with the relevant body.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...