HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Cuillin Update, Snow patches, loose rock & abseil tat.

Mike Lates - on 15 May 2014
SNOW
It is now possible to reach Bealach a' Bhasteir on rock BUT not by the fairly popular approach running below Pinnacle Ridge. Skirting Am Basteir on the north is also possible without crampons but caution still required. Please don't take a big slide just to prove me wrong! The rest of the Cuillin are clear on any regular routes.
ROCK
New loose rock isn't quite as abundant as followed the intense winter last year but will still form the major hazard. If in doubt don't touch!
TAT
Remember it is your responsibility to judge both rock & tat quality every time. Many of those frequently used come off blocks that are not attached so delicacy, angles & reducing leverage are all considerations.
Of the frequently used abseils TD gap is most obviously in need of cleaning out & replacing. Pinnacle Ridge tat is fresh. Upper anchor on the Dubhs is a mess which I started stripping last week. Cleaned out the lower anchor & replaced with a length of blue rope. Not done the Bidean abseils yet myself but plenty of folk Traversing this week with no reports of problems. West Ridge of Gillean was tat-free yesterday but likely to be rigged again very soon.
Stay safe, Mike
... not showing 12 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums