UKC

rest days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Got a job rob 15 May 2014
Please help. I need to rest, I know that I do but I hate doing it. It feels like a waste of good training time. I am trying to have a off day today after 6 straight days of training or work or nights but I am thinking about going out on the mountain bike instead of running. Please give me tips on how to rest.
 drolex 15 May 2014
In reply to Got a job rob:

I suffer from the opposite, maybe we can team?

Some tricks to resist the urge to run:
- it is too cold outside
- it is too warm outside
- it is too wet outside
- I have eaten too recently
- I feel like a pain somewhere - it must be serious
- I feel sleepy
- I have to mow the lawn/change drolexette's nappy/cook/watch Masterchef finale with the wife
- there is something slightly interesting on the Internet

Tomorrow will be better anyway.
 Ava Adore 15 May 2014

Arrange to meet up with friends/go to the pictures/theatre on odd nights. The only thing that stops me (other than injury) is if I have a commitment one evening.
 yorkshireman 15 May 2014

'Rest' is relative. I generally take one day off a week as I feel the need to keep refreshed especially if I'm pushing myself hard - others might not need it. I plug in rest weeks as well where I dial down the frequency and intensity - I find its as much a mental as a physical rest sometimes.

However, a slow 5km run at ~60% MHR can feel like a rest after a hard week and can help flush out tired legs, so go for active recovery rather than laying in bed and then you'll feel like you've got out, but given your body a chance to recover.

Just remember that if your body doesn't have chance to recover you're not going to make the kind of gains you're presumably looking for.
 lost1977 15 May 2014

if you don't like rest days then dont take them just learn to manage intensity of training
OP Got a job rob 15 May 2014
In reply to lost1977:

good plan! Easy days, I like this and why had I not been able to think that one up on my own.
 Banned User 77 15 May 2014

yeah easy on the mountain bike.. easy run... sometimes I'll do 3-4 miles at 9-10 min miles but also stop to do some stretching/core work... feel like I've got out, always feel better, but actually taken little to nothing out of my legs.. my last run before a major race is often like that..
 Banned User 77 15 May 2014

I used to go bouldering or play golf too.. both got you out but saved the legs.
 paul mitchell 15 May 2014

Just had a shattering day at Ramshaw.Will be resting 3 days.

Get a guitar and learn to play it.Learning another language is good too.
Very handy when traffic cops nab you abroad.
OP Got a job rob 26 May 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

So the rest day run after yesterdays 32km 1062m hight gain run, was 4.58km with 165m hight gain in 35 mins. Felt great! thansk for the tips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...