UKC

Anyone used the new Petzl Meteor and/or Sirocco?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

My Meteor 3 is coming to the end of its' life and needs replacing.

I'm not sure what to replace it with. I was going to get a Sirocco but then I saw the new Meteor, which looks very cool. Plus my last two helmets have been Meteor 3s which I've been very happy with.

Wondered if anyone on here had one and if they'd had chance to use it much?

Also any long term Sirocco users out there? What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom
 RomTheBear 15 May 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
I got a Sirocco and it turned out to be a bit of a waste of money, yes it's very light but it's not durable at all. Mine broke two month after I bought it as it was attached on the outside of my rucksack and fell on my side after a minor slip on the approach path.

Plus I don't like these magnetic buckles as you always have to worry about making sure you store you compass away from it.

and it's orange.
Post edited at 16:58
 TobyA 15 May 2014

I will be interested to hear if they've changed the fit at all with the new Meteor as my M3 has been so good- but is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Is 8 years old for a foam lid? I guess it is. :-/

My mates with the Sirocco seem rather happy with them and I think they look fine, but agree the new Meteor looks rather cool - perhaps better than the Sirocco.

Maybe worth trying the BD equivalents as well. The second lightest one (which doesn't cost as much either as their top of the range one) fitted my head rather well when I tried it and I've always thought the meteor is a good fit for me.

In reply to TobyA:

> Is 8 years old for a foam lid? I guess it is. :-/

I dunno. My two have lasted me two years each, but I trash gear. I think it is stuffing them in and out of rucksacks that kills them.

> My mates with the Sirocco seem rather happy with them and I think they look fine, but agree the new Meteor looks rather cool - perhaps better than the Sirocco.

> Maybe worth trying the BD equivalents as well. The second lightest one (which doesn't cost as much either as their top of the range one) fitted my head rather well when I tried it and I've always thought the meteor is a good fit for me.

I'm not a massive fan on the heavier one. I think it's pretty big and don't like the mat finish The lightweight one is pretty cool though.
 cliff shasby 15 May 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

Can i ask how the helmet broke..?,i would have thought the stiffer foam of a meteor etc would break easier considering the sirocco is more flexible rubbery type of foam.

cheers cliff..
 TobyA 15 May 2014

> I think it is stuffing them in and out of rucksacks that kills them.

Well mine goes in a rucksack at least once a week - so maybe it's HOW you are stuffing them in and out of rucksacks.
In reply to TobyA:

> Well mine goes in a rucksack at least once a week - so maybe it's HOW you are stuffing them in and out of rucksacks.

Possibly. Have you decided if you are moving to Sheffield yet?
 The Grist 15 May 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I trashed my meteor 3 a couple of months ago (fell and hit a boulder). I replaced it with the scirocco. First thoughts are positive. It is obviously light and it is comfortable. It is claimed to be MORE durable than other soft helmets. As it is made of the same stuff as car bumpers it is supposed to bend back into the original shape after an impact. Time will tell I guess. Apparently it is orange as they can not dye the material it is made off.

I sadly know this stuff as I went on the petzl website and watched the video on it (I get very bored at work).
 Merlin 15 May 2014

IMHO there hasn't been a decent helmet on the market since the BD tracer.

I have a Sirocco and I'm fairly happy with it. Its main problem is its looks. I'm not convinced they can't dye it, just they bought 10 tonnes of orange by mistake.

All the people complaining about the durability - it was the lightest helmet in the world not long ago. You don't buy the Ghost Whisperer jacket and then complain it rips easily, you buy it knowing the weight savings come at a cost. If you want a helmet that will double as a sit-mat look elsewhere.
 HeMa 16 May 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> My mates with the Sirocco seem rather happy with them

We have been... Have used about a year now. It's got a few small dints in it now, most likely from ice climbing. But I have never been that careful with it, I generally just chuck it at the top of my haulbag/cragsck before I close it and seems good.

Only Sari did break the magnetic buckle on hers, instead of trusting the darn thing to close by itself, she forced it to close like you'd close normal buckles.

> I think they look fine, but agree the new Meteor looks rather cool - perhaps better than the Sirocco.

Without a doubt the Meteor will look better, after all with the Sirocco you look someone landed an orange turd on yer head...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...