UKC

Are you going to spectate this years Le Tour?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 15 May 2014
In Yorkshire?

No excuses for missing it really.
 ro8x 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Yep. On Jenkin road - watch the pros rip it up there!
 Chris the Tall 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Yep, planning on Grinton Lodge area on day 1, probably MTBing up there

More to the point planning to ride the two stage in June - should be fun (gulp)
 GrahamD 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

No. It passes within a couple of km of my house down here in the flatlands so I'll probably watch it in Saffron Walden
 balmybaldwin 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Yes, but haven't worked out exactly where.... on a climb somewhere... will see if I can see it twice in a day by mtbing between sections of the route (but this depend on it being loopy).

Managed to see TOB 3 times in a day last year (just) by scurrying down bridleways from one bit to another... and home in time to watch the finish on the telly
Removed User 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Yep, and I'm coming from Canada so you lot have no excuses. Gonna try to see it in Harrogate on the Saturday and York on the Sunday but don't know the exact spot yet.
 FrankBooth 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

yes - booked a spot on Ilkley Cycle Club's campsite, and hope to catch both stages
 Liam M 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard: I will be. I'm volunteering in the neutral zone on day one, and then being a spectator somewhere for the rest.

I'm hoping that like the police in France, and indeed those in Ireland last weekend they're happy for people to cycle along the closed roads as long as they're clear before the outriders start coming through. I've done this a few times and it's fun, especially with excitable crowds of kids.
 The New NickB 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I'll be watching on day 1 and day 2. Not decided where yet on day 1, but day 2 passes about 6 miles from my house, so I will watch it as it briefly passes through Lancashire at the top of the Cragg Vale climb.
 Bob 15 May 2014
In reply to Liam M:

Roads close to bikes between 30 & 60 minutes before the caravan is due.
 gethin_allen 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Some friends have very inconsiderately decided to get married on the saturday so I will be dragging my hungover self out of bed early on Sunday to ride out somewhere in the peak district to watch it all go by. Not sure where but I will take some food and booze and enjoy the spectacle.
 Sam_in_Leeds 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I went to see it in 2007 in London and tbh I don't see how cycling can be a spectator sport?

It bored me to tears. waiting ages then 10 minutes of people on bikes going past.

It's a bit like climbing really, it's good to do but bloody boring to watch other people
 The New NickB 15 May 2014
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:

It may not of occurred to you, but the people on this thread are likely to be cycling fans and already watch a fair bit of cycling and enjoy it.

Some sports require a bit of understanding to enjoy properly, but even without the understanding most people will enjoy the spectacle of an event like the tour.
 Tom Valentine 15 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

That's a bit optimistic, Bob.
 Bob 15 May 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Well that's the official version - I doubt you'll get very far much after 9am or 10am
 Liam M 15 May 2014
In reply to Bob: We need an officer like we had at the weekend (in the Giro) - between the caravan and the race, he told us he that he couldn't go past a roundabout on the race route. He then informed us that if we took another exit however, we could rejoin the route a mile up and there would be no one for ages to stop us until the race came through!
andyathome 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I'll be there - too right!
Removed User 15 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Actually, what I fully intend to do is get raging drunk, strip down to my underpants and run alongside shouting at Wiggo and others to get a f**kin grip while ensuring that I cause several near misses and destroy at least one riders hopes and dreams......

....but as long as I get myself on telly I can justify my actions
 Kimono 16 May 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Im with Sam a bit on this one.
I love my cycling, both road and mtb, but have very little interest in watching it.

i fear it will just be crowds of mamils talking about bike parts all morning and then missing the 13 seconds of action as they come through at 60kmh.

Maybe I'm wrong?
 Enty 16 May 2014

> I went to see it in 2007 in London and tbh I don't see how cycling can be a spectator sport?

> It bored me to tears. waiting ages then 10 minutes of people on bikes going past.

> It's a bit like climbing really, it's good to do but bloody boring to watch other people

I've been to watch The Worlds twice and both times it's been the best spectator sporting event I've ever been to.
You see the race pass 15 times over a 6 hour period - secret is to have a beer every time they pass
Get near a big screen so you can watch the race live.
In Varese in 2008 we watched in a field with about 8000 Italians - when Allesandro Balan attacked and won the wave of excitement and emotion which swept through the field was one of the most incredible things I've experienced.
Almost as good was in Mendrissio in 2009 when Cadel Evans attacked right in front of us.
Standing on a climb and watching some of the world's best pros crack right in front of you because the pace is too high is amazing.

E
 Enty 16 May 2014
 Enty 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

And the crap day we had on The Ventoux last summer:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151719458151100.1073741827.1872...

E
 yeti 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Oh yes, and partly to watch the circus
 Bob 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Both stages pass within a couple of miles of our house. Plan to head up Wharfedale (by bike) on the Saturday, will see how far we get as the predicted numbers of spectators are eye-watering. Sunday my wife is one of the volunteer tour-makers so I'm thinking of heading to Stanbury (near Haworth) but again I think it will be packed.
 lummox 16 May 2014
In reply to Bob: big party/bbq in Otley on Saturday and then hoping to ride over to Stanbury/Oxenhope on Sunday. Can't wait.

Hat Dude 16 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Actually, what I fully intend to do is get raging drunk, strip down to my underpants and run alongside

Me too; haven't decided yet whether it's the Speedos or Mankini !

Liam M 16 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

It really is spectacular. Despite several hours of pissing rain, it was still great on the Fiesole climb last year. A huge mix of racaous but very friendly Belgians, Dutch, Norwegians and Poles all creating a great party and erupting every time a rider comes near.

And being metres away as Purito launched a winning attack on the steepest part of the Villa Vergano climb in Lombardia, and seeing them all lay everything down whilst so close was such an amazing moment.
Rigid Raider 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Going to watch it in Addingham on both days thanks to Tall Clare of this parish.
 tony 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

My parents live about 400m from the Burley bypass, so we'll be visiting for the weekend. At that point, I'm not really it's going to be very exciting, but it would be rude to miss it.
 Toby S 16 May 2014
I'm going to be in Knebworth for Sonisphere that weekend and will be heading home on Monday morning. Is it worth my while trying to park up in Cambridge or somewhere like Saffron Walden or is likely to be traffic hell with everyone else having the same idea? It seems a bit daft to be in the area and not try to go and see it. I don't know the area at all though and do have to drive back up to Inverness afterwards.
 AlisonSmiles 16 May 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Me too; haven't decided yet whether it's the Speedos or Mankini !

I can help with that decision, what colour were you thinking?
 Hat Dude 16 May 2014
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

I have a selection, all dayglo
 EarlyBird 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I'd love to but "unfortunately" I will be climbing in Val Di Mello. I'm sad that I'll miss it,
molly2202 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

No choice - it comes right past my front door....not once, but twice! I live on Main St in Addingham, and we seem to be the only village in the history of the TdF that the race passes twice.....

Needless to say all the local business owners are pissing their pants thinking of ways of to lighten peoples pockets. Am looking forward to it, and all the circus that goes with it!
Removed User 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

My girlfriends sister has a house in Holme she has just bought but not moved into right on the main road. Have residents permit and full access until the morning of the stage. Woop!
 lummox 16 May 2014
In reply to molly2202:

so The Fleece might not have a table for lunch ? ; )
 victorclimber 16 May 2014

I myself am a keen cyclist as well as a Climber and quite agree with you its bloody boring waiting for hours for the Peleton and then they go past in seconds ,maybe on a good hill climb a bit better ,but its like watching a Bouldering Competition better to do it than watch ..
molly2202 16 May 2014
In reply to lummox:

Lummox - I dont let them have my hard earned!! Though he is hiring out the tables out front for £30 a seat!! £180 per table!!
 IMA 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Boring? perhaps on your own waiting. Make some new friends, open a few drinks and have a laugh especially if it is sunny. I'm going to go find the dutch that make the trip over.
 Bulls Crack 16 May 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Well, I live in Hebden Bridge, so definitely
 danm 16 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

Yeah, Ventoux last year was off the hook. Ended up hanging out with a retired Euskatel rider and had a right ball. Got so smashed I ended up riding down to Bedoin instead of Saullt by mistake - a long drunken ride home ensued.

Going to ride out to High Bradfield I think and catch the peleton there, should be fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...