UKC

Poca Buidhe - the stolen bothy - blog post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 16 May 2014
Eventually I reach the head of Loch na h Oidhche (Usually known as – Loch what?) it is there that the giant pyramids of the Torridon hills begin to loom on the horizon and your eyes are drawn ever upwards toward these ancient hills. After a mile or so the bothy pops up from hits hiding place, you can’t see it until you almost fall over it. The sheer scale and spectacle of the views takes me by surprise, from here you see Torridon’s hills from a new perspective and this little high bothy commands one of the most incredible views of any mountain shelter I have ever seen. I just stand looking, amazed at the grandeur and just as surprised as to how this place can be so little known. My eyes wander, again and again, away across the small patchwork of lochans and on up the slopes of Ben Alligin, with its great sweeping perpendicular gullies and towering conical summits, and then on towards one of Beinn Eighe’s summits, peeping over a nearby ridge. For this view alone the whole was worthwhile.

Such a pity then that this bothy, in such a splendid situation, is barred to the outdoor community. Although one part has always been used by the estate for the exclusive use of shooting and fishing parties, one small section used to be kept open for walkers, it is so sad that this is no longer the case. Doubtless we are all being punished for the mindless actions of a few in damaging the bothy in the past. Surely there must be some way to solve this problem. Many estates work well with the outdoor community and share their facilities with little or no difficulties due in no small part to the efforts of the Mountain Bothies Association (MBA). Why is it different with this estate? The heritage of these wild places belongs to all of us and such a fine bothy should be accessible even if at limited times.
Read more here http://johndburns.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/poca-buidhe-the-stolen-bothy/
 Cuthbert 16 May 2014
In reply to John Burns:

Your blog posts would be much enhanced if you learned something about the meanings and pronunciations of hill names and places.
 ayuplass 16 May 2014
In reply to John Burns:

I loved this post, i stayed in Poca Buidhe on my first ever trip to Scotland. We stayed in the main part by applying to the estate, the open part looked very rustic in comparison! There's a howff outside the hut too although I think a tent would be preferable.
The walk in from the road was memorable for all the wrong reasons, carrying a weeks worth of stuff 'that doesn't weigh much' was a challenge for someone who had never done that kind of trip before.
The view of the valley in moonlight that night made it all worth while and the bothy is a fantastic base that gives a different perspective to Torridon

your post brought back great memories, such a shame if other people cant access the bothy now
 pneame 17 May 2014
In reply to John Burns:

great post, as always
OP John Burns 17 May 2014
In reply to John Burns:

Thanks for your kind comments, glad I brought back memories, it really is an exceptional place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...