Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Mammut Smart - what's the catch?

TheGeneralist - on 16 May 2014
Been climbing for around 25 years and every now and again friends try to convert me to a Grigri for sport climbing use. I really tried to like it but it just didn't gel. The action was way too different to what I was used to and it was too complicated.
I forgot my ATC yesterday at the wall and so borrowed my partner's Smart. I was completely converted. It just seems to be so well thought out. The action is very similar to an ATC so no concerns about making a mistake when switching between devices. The motion for paying our slack is just brilliant. You use your dead hand thumb under the hook to push it up and all the while you can keep your hand on the dead rope. really intuitive and simple. It wasn't great for lowering but I guess that's just practice.

So what am I missing? Why would anyone buy a grigri, other than they bought one before the Mammut came out and are now used to it?
... not showing 22 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums