UKC

Bicycles on English Trains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 16 May 2014
Is there any sense to the location of the carriage-with-bicycle-spaces on English trains? It seems to be completely random.

This isn't usually a problem when you're joining the train at a terminus - like London Waterloo - and you can walk down the platform until you encounter one but it is a big problem when you just have to pick a spot on the platform and jump on when the doors open.
 balmybaldwin 16 May 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

There'll normally be one in the middle of each 4 carriage set
 dennischan01 16 May 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

On First Transpennine trains there's usually ample space for bicycles/wheelchairs right at the front, past the first class section.
 andy 16 May 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I think the replies that you've got show the problem - there's not "normally" a place for bike spaces, as it depends on the train. On some they're in a carriage (somewhere), on others (East Coast, for example) they're in the Guard's van. So you're right - it's a bugger to know where to stand, especially as there's usually a 6" high picture of a bike by the door, completely covered by people crowding to get on.

They do say "arrive early and consult station staff", but with the exception of East Coast and Virgin (in my experience) there's rarely anyone from the train company on the platform until seven nanoseconds before the train arrives.
 Bob 16 May 2014
In reply to andy:

Scotrail (at least for the West Highland line) are pretty good as well.
 ByEek 16 May 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

My technique is to stand near the where the rear of the train might stop and then as it passes, keep a look out for the bike sign and then leg is to that spot.
In reply to Xharlie:

I got told off at Berwick last week for being at the wrong end (back) of the train despite being stood next to a platform sign with a picture of a bike. I was told the guards carriage could be at either end and I should have asked, even though there was no one to ask at 7.30 in evening. I was then told there was a phone available to contact staff but it wasn'nt clear that was what i should do. Felt bad for delaying the departure but what else could I have done?
So the answer seems to be there isn't a sure way of knowning in advance unless you can find someone to ask.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...