UKC

First trip outdoors, any advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DiscoBoy 16 May 2014
Hello,

I've been climbing indoors for a few months now. I can do most V4 problems, sometimes higher, and lead climb around a 6a.

This weekend I'm going outdoors with the guys I climb with. They are a similar level to me indoors, and they have climbed outdoors a few times before, one of them has the gear for top roping and sport leading and he also does rope access stuff for a living, so safety wise we have it covered. We're going somewhere near Llangollen, to a place they've been before.

What are the top tips for someone moving outside for the first time?
 andy_e 16 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

A couple of things that spring to mind,

Walking around at the bottom of the crag can sometimes be more hazardous than the climbing.

The route reading is more subtle than indoors, and good footwork becomes more important than finger strength on grit, or slate!

Otherwise, enjoy your weekend away

tlm 16 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Take waterproofs and suntan cream!

Have fun!
 Mal Grey 16 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Don't be put off by how different it might feel at first. Start below your indoor grades, and build up steadily. And just enjoy the different feel of climbing in a lovely natural location.

Have fun!
DiscoBoy 16 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Thanks everyone. That is all noted

I'm most worried about reading the routes: indoors it is usually obvious, I imagine it being much harder outside!
 tlm 16 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

> Thanks everyone. That is all noted

> I'm most worried about reading the routes: indoors it is usually obvious, I imagine it being much harder outside!

It's easier in some ways outdoors, because everything is a foot placement and nothing is out of bounds! You can always start on things that you think will be easier - it's a good thing to do anyway to give your body a chance to warm up. Don't forget you can smear your feet - you don't have to have a big pokey-out knob to stand on! Also, if your mates are any good, watch what they do.

You will love it!
 ByEek 16 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

> I imagine it being much harder outside!

It is horses for courses. I am a week patheticling at the moment which means I really struggle on the steep indoor walls. However a modi-come of basic technique usually stands me in good stead when ever I venture out doors.

Just remember. Climb with your legs. Hold on with your arms.

Enjoy!
Frogger 16 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Take cake!

In reply to tlm:

> you don't have to have a big pokey-out knob to stand on!

Not only that, it's generally considered bad form.

DiscoBoy 18 May 2014
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Thanks for your advice everyone. We went today and had a great time

We did some top roping at three different spots, each of which had two routes up. It was great fun being out in the lovely sunshine with some friends (and their dog) and I really enjoyed the climbing: finding different ways to climb the same spot is much more interesting than indoor.

For those of you who know the area, we went over World's End from Wrexham and down the other side, then where the ford is we crossed the style on the left, and it's a short walk up there to the face which is on the left. I believe that it is in the guide books, but have no idea what it is called.
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Bit late to post on this one since you already went but what amazing weather for it. I've been climbing outside for a couple of months now after a year inside and it's amazing. Take time to think a bit more, the holds are obviously more difficult to find

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...