UKC

How bloody much??!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 17 May 2014
After reading the "Gearing Options" thread, I started idly wondering about the feasibility of converting my bike from a 27-speed triple to a compact 20-speed double. Prices for crankset, derailleurs etc seemed about what I would have expected but I was gobsmacked to discover that a replacement pair of brake/shifter levers would cost as much as all the other components combined, so doubling the cost of the job!

So I probably won't be doing that, then.
 SteveD 17 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:
Usually cheaper to get a new bike!
Post edited at 17:03
 alasdair19 17 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:

The double tap gear shifters have been compared to a Swiss watch for comlexity compared to a thumb and finger system... I was amazed at the upgrade cost on a cheap bike between them.
 sleavesley 17 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:

£300 for shimano 105 or £500 for ultegra 11 speed.
Only worth upgrading if you got a decent frame to start with.
 Toby_W 17 May 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

Chain reactions normally have it all for much less than that.

Toby
 andy 17 May 2014
In reply to sleavesley: Merlin - full 105 groupset including brakes and BB - £299.

DiscoBoy 17 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:

+1 to the people suggesting 105 from Merlin/ Ribble. £300 for a full 105 groupset is an absolute steal.

If your wheels are 11 speed compatible, then 105 11 speed (5800) can be pre ordered for just £335 from Chainreaction, too.
 sleavesley 17 May 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

Erm no they don't! Chain reaction and wiggle are often more expensive than as suggested Merlin, who I've had great customer service from.
The key to chain reaction or wiggle is to have a discount code to use with a purchase as well as quidco or topcashback.
Ribble, Probikekit, sigma all offer competitive pricing too.
Sometimes Westbrook have some good deals as well.
Some of them offer cash back with quidco or tcb too.

As Andy put above £300 gets you 105.

Now if you can find me di2 (upgrade kit) ten speed for less than £500 I will be impressed
 Toby_W 18 May 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

Before you come on all !!! And no they don't check the site. I was a referring to the posts above all referring to gear shifters.

Check the site. Ultegra 11 reduced from 259 to 182. Plenty cheaper than the list price thank you.

Toby
 sleavesley 18 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:
Your reply was to me, What is the point with shifters when you need to change the crankset too? And in the case of 11 speed the derailleurs as well, due to the thinner chain which would get stuck in a nine speed set up.
I was just pointing out what price a groupset could be purchased for.

With regard to the original post, the bike is currently nine speed, so the cheapest way would be to get Sora shifters £96 at ribble. A sora chainset (nine speed) is around £60. Along with a chain and any new cables as long as the rear cassette is ok. The whole groupset is £199. But then personally to future proof it as much as possible I would be going 11 speed. So £335 for 105 or £500 for ultegra. Or buy a new bike and sell the old one.
Post edited at 08:37
 Toby_W 18 May 2014
In reply to sleavesley: again if I didn't make it clear I wasn't replying to your post or your quite sensible point which is quite correct just that as you have more generally pointed out you can get stuff cheaper.

Toby

kevin stephens 18 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:
The best solution is to buy some mudguards for your bike, you can then designate in your "winter training bike" leaving you free to shop for a new bling 20 (or 22) speed summer bike
 Steeve 18 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:

have a look at gevenalle

http://www.gevenalle.com/

much cheaper, and a really simple, effective, reliable shifting system.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...