UKC

Wild Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 18 May 2014
Please could anyone climbing rock now refer to it as "wild climbing" to avoid the assumption that they are on plastic. Thankyou.
 Madden 18 May 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

Or, alternately, it could be referred to as 'rock climbing', as opposed to 'climbing'.

Good effort with that troll though, I liked it.
 FreshSlate 18 May 2014
In reply to Madden:
No troll bro. I wouldn't say that 'climbing' simply denotes climbing on plastic, it could mean anything from alpine climbing to cycling up a hill...

I would be strange to apply broad term to one small subset of climbing.

Rock climbing seems to be used whether indoors or outdoors I seem to find. At the moment the distinction seems to be 'outdoors' and 'indoors'.
Post edited at 23:33
needvert 18 May 2014
Maybe 90-95% of the people I've meet, "climbing" to them is the indoor thing on plastic, because that's what they've experienced.

I wonder how long it will be before the 'B' word is brought up?
 FreshSlate 18 May 2014
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

B...

Ballroom Dancing?
In reply to FreshSlate:

That's two words.
 kwoods 18 May 2014

Buildering?
 FreshSlate 18 May 2014

Damnit!

Boobies?
In reply to FreshSlate:

Close. Different type of hangers.
 henwardian 19 May 2014

Heh, you start trying to be specific and before you know it, after being asked a question about your climbing you will need to say "well, I mainly do wild, trad, bold, non-bouldermatted, multipitch, seacliff, free rock climbing".
Awefully cumbersome in conversation.
 Al Evans 19 May 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Why not just 'real climbing' and 'indoors'.
 d_b 19 May 2014
In reply to henwardian:

> Heh, you start trying to be specific and before you know it, after being asked a question about your climbing you will need to say "well, I mainly do wild, trad, bold, non-bouldermatted, multipitch, seacliff, free rock climbing".

> Awefully cumbersome in conversation.

If outdoor rock is wild, then what do we call vegetated rock?

Anyone for a non-bouldermatted, multi pitch seacliff free, free rock and moss, wild safari climbing session?

AKA Lliwedd.

Bob 19 May 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Or, and this is much simpler, "climbing" and "pretend climbing". The "B" word can be replaced by "posing"
 JIMBO 19 May 2014

What about climbing into bed, climbing the stairs and social climbers?
 alan moore 19 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

I was having a post swimming lesson coffee and ice cream with my three-year-old son at the Peak in Stirling the other day.
He looks up at the climbing wall and says in a loud squeaky voice "Dad, why are those people pretend climbing?"
I was so proud.
 Carolyn 19 May 2014

Nah, c'mon. Avon Gorge "wild"? (Well, actually, with some of those runouts...).

We need more sub-divisions for true clarity. And to develop a common understanding and all that kind of thing.
 victorclimber 19 May 2014

Being a rather older Climber I aint got my head around Font yet. Boulder Problems to me are you can or you cant do them .
 The Potato 19 May 2014

does wild climbing include sport climbing then?
 Choss 19 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> does wild climbing include sport climbing then?

No thats tame Climbing.
 GrahamD 19 May 2014

The manager of a local Tesco has a sign up in the shop looking for sponsorship to "climb" Mount Snowdon (I kid you not). How wild is that ?
 Steve Perry 19 May 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

I hope you put yourself down for a tenner!
 Ron Kenyon 26 May 2014

Cragging is Rock Climbing - wall climbing is Wall Climbing
 Oo 26 May 2014

In a current social group of people consisting mainly of not very outdoorsy people with English as a second language - where you climb the hill, or climb up the stairs to the top of the viewpoint - I've taken to standing on one leg and doing a really bad spiderman impression when I say 'I went climbing at the weekend' and making my index and middle finger walk through the air when talking about 'hiking'. Seems to work without causing offence so far...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...