UKC

Good crags in Peak for kids?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1202alarm 19 May 2014
Hi,
hoping for some UKC wisdom here...

I'm going for a long weekend soon with the kids and a friend and his family. We are camping at Rivendale in the south peak.

We are planning on having a day out at the roaches as it'll be a good place to take the kids for a good mess around on boulders (plus maybe tick a route or two...).

Can anyone reccommend any other crags that would also fit the bill?

Easy lines to toprope/easy bouldering
Parking
Not too far to walk (kids are 10,8,5,3)
Reasonably near to where we are based

Thank you,
Ken

Offwidth 19 May 2014
In reply to Scotsken:

Harborough Rocks and a whole series of venues in the SE peak in Froggatt (eg Black Rocks, Cratcliffe/Robin Hoods Stride, Matlock Bank, Alport Stone, Shining Cliff...)
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 19 May 2014
In reply to Scotsken:

Windgather, ticks all the boxes.

two minute walk-in, easy parking, short routes (belays at top may require care / ingenuity) pleasant aspect.

Have fun
 Ava Adore 19 May 2014
In reply to Scotsken:

Burbage North
 deepsoup 19 May 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:
> Burbage North

All of the crags in the Burbage Valley can be good for kids - Higgar Tor has quite a lot to go at away to the sides of the Leaning Block, and lots of 'weasling' to be done.

Not sure if it's worth the drive from Rivendale though, with other crags closer. (Windgather even more so.)

I'd second Offwidth's suggestion(s), and add that exploring around Rowtor Rocks (just tucked away behind the Druid Inn at Birchover) could be good fun for the kids too.
 d_b 19 May 2014
In reply to Scotsken:
Birchen Edge would fit the bill as well. Nice location, short easy routes.
Post edited at 16:48
OP 1202alarm 19 May 2014
Brilliant,
Thanks very much everyone!

gribble 19 May 2014
In reply to Scotsken:

Winnatts Pass - matterhorn ridge and elbow ridge, and some random caves to have a look in.
 LP 19 May 2014
In reply to Scotsken: You may already know the area but the Roaches is good for 'weaseling'; loads of squeezing through boulder chokes and caves and the like, especially running right to left from the edge of the upper tier. Had our family and a mate's too and it all made for a good half a day, with a couple of routes to finish.

Offwidth 20 May 2014
In reply to Scotsken:

Burbage is a bit further as is Windgather. Birchen is pretty limited for kids due to hard starts (I co-wrote the BMC chapter).
 Offwidth 20 May 2014
In reply to gribble:

Have you taken kids on those two climbs? I certainly wouldn't and even advise most climbers to stay away as the loose rock can hit cars below. Best in winter when the pass is closed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...