UKC

Climbing Scotland next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paul fleuriot 19 May 2014
Am planning a rock climbing trip to wonderful Scotland next week. Looking for big adventure. Had hoped to get on the Ben, or Glencoe or even Shelter Stone. Can anyone out ther give an educated estimation of conditions on big mountain routes, what's likely to be in nick or offer some alternatives maybe Skye or Glen Nevis?.
Am really open to any good advice to make best of week, climbing around E2 grade.
 French Erick 19 May 2014
In reply to paul fleuriot:

Je t'ai envopé un pm.
 henwardian 19 May 2014

I would be quite surprised if the big mountain crags were dry yet. Especially the North Face of the Ben. Shelterstone, Creag an dubh loch, Ben Nevis all face North. In my experience, even in the middle of summer, on these crags, I am climbing in my down jacket and always feeling cold, 2 to 5 celcius is pretty normal in July/August. And May isn't the middle of summer!

For mountain crags, I might be tempted to try Glen Coe. I've not been up there recently but there are loads of great routes, plenty of East and West facing crags and many of the crags are quite a bit lower down than the really big mountain faces.
If you are set on a really big route, I think your best bet (besides tackling the horrors of St Johns head!) might be Carn Mor Crag, it's not so high up and faces South. But it's about 5 hours to walk in to it so you need to be commited!
Depends a lot how far up you want to go but a couple of my favourite crags are:
Sheigra - great routes at your grade with amazing atmosphere and awesome rock.
Reiff - Lots of routes at every grade, amazing rock, relatively short pitches but the climbing is densely packed into them. Also the weather here is often much better than almost anywhere else.
Diabeg - Every route on Main Wall is good and at E2 you must do the Pillar. Can get midgy there so pick a breezy day or one with strong sunshine.

Suidhe Biorach on Skye is a great place to try some E3s if you want to push your grade. There are several really amazing low-in-the-grade E3s there.

Skye is a great place to go overall because if you are hot on the weather forecast you can avoid a surprising amount of the bad weather, you can climb at Neist in the North, Suide Biorach in the South, the Cullin itself in the West and Kilt Rock in the East. If you can get on the Cullin, do so; it's amazing rock, sure it will shred your fingertips after 4 crimps but it teaches you a new definition in friction! Vulcan Wall is a really nice line and there are several others around that route that are great too. Though on your first day of good Cullin weather you probably want to head up something that takes in the Cioch to tick the Highlander reenactment if nothing else!

On sea cliffs you should generally be safe from midges and if you go to a high up North face then you will be fine too because it's too cold for them up there.

Basically, the further North and West you go in Scotland, the greater the climbing and the fewer the people. Tis a wonderful country!
 Michael Gordon 19 May 2014

The quicker drying Glen Coe stuff should be fine. Carn Dearg Buttress could be good but needs a few days to dry and there will be snow in the No. 5 gully descent. The Needle was climbed a few days ago:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=587081
 Michael Gordon 19 May 2014
In reply to henwardian:

To be fair, Creag an Dubh Loch faces east and the crags on the Ben cover all aspects.
paul fleuriot 20 May 2014
In reply to henwardian:

Fantastic info thanks very much for your time!
 d conacher 20 May 2014

glen etive slabs could be good,Big top (e1)would likely be dry and not to cold if theres a good forcast and a grand day out the needle or the steeple could be possible if you dont mind a bit of suffering.carn mor could be shrewd move fantastic crag and area to spend some time in and get a flavour for what scotlands got to offer,enjoy your stay and check out m.w.i.s.
 henwardian 21 May 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> To be fair, Creag an Dubh Loch faces east

Hmmmm, North East perhaps. My main point was that it will be damned cold. I don't have any memory of climbing in the sun on it.

> and the crags on the Ben cover all aspects.

Still mainly North though. And again, I never really remember climbing in the sun there on any of the routes I've done.
In reply to paul fleuriot: Personally, I'd go to Iona and Mull. You might not get 3000m routes, but the company will be awesome and there is always the chance of a cuddle. Althoguh I suppose you might get one of those if you get benighted on Carn Mor with you-know-who. Woof!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...