UKC

Scottish midges -current 'conditions' ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarahjk 19 May 2014
Looking at spending half term in and around Glen Coe, my friend really wants to do Aonach Eagach Ridge, anything after that is a bonus.

I am not fond of getting eaten alive so camping if it is midgie would be no fun. I have a very strong allergic reaction. Anyone got current info on if they are out yet ?

Thanks in advance

Sarah
 Lone Rider 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

Which species are you allergic too? I only get itchy with some and not others.
Also http://midgeforecast.co.uk/home
 nw 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

Just stirring here, not far from Glencoe.
In reply to nw:

Midgies biting in glen Nevis last Monday!
 skog 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

They were starting to nibble at Glencoe a week ago, but weren't bad.

Given that it's warm and damp just now, I fear the midgocalypse may be about to commence...
OP sarahjk 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

I have a massive allergic reaction to just about everything. After 12 years playing in Poison Ivy in Texas and surrounding states my allergens/histamines explode at any opportunity.
aultguish 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:
In the hills above Loch Tay, absolutely none. Plenty non biting bugs about but midges are still snoring
 joan cooper 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk: Felt first ones out today on Skye but not very bothersome

Michael Gordon 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

If you suffer from allergies I'd advise staying in a hostel or similar. Certainly don't go to the 'Red Squirrel' campsite in Glen Coe - it's in the trees and is practically guaranteed to be midgey!
 kwoods 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

Still, humid and warm at Craigmore yesterday, just north of Glasgow (probably the midgiest central belt venue?). There were a fair few swarming about, just enough biting to get a bit annoying, but midgepocalypse (great term!) has yet to really kick in.
 victorclimber 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

had them at 2000 ft plus on Arran today
Jim C 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

> Looking at spending half term in and around Glen Coe, my friend really wants to do Aonach Eagach Ridge, anything after that is a bonus.

Nip along to Glencoe ski resort and get a pod instead of camping?
http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accommodation.html

The ridge itself is usually clear at height ( but not always) but take a net for breaks just in case.
Oceanwall 20 May 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...