/ Scottish midges -current 'conditions' ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sarahjk - on 19 May 2014
Looking at spending half term in and around Glen Coe, my friend really wants to do Aonach Eagach Ridge, anything after that is a bonus.

I am not fond of getting eaten alive so camping if it is midgie would be no fun. I have a very strong allergic reaction. Anyone got current info on if they are out yet ?

Thanks in advance

Sarah
Lone Rider - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

Which species are you allergic too? I only get itchy with some and not others.
Also http://midgeforecast.co.uk/home
nw - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

Just stirring here, not far from Glencoe.
Moonstone Hippy - on 19 May 2014
In reply to nw:

Midgies biting in glen Nevis last Monday!
skog - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

They were starting to nibble at Glencoe a week ago, but weren't bad.

Given that it's warm and damp just now, I fear the midgocalypse may be about to commence...
sarahjk - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

I have a massive allergic reaction to just about everything. After 12 years playing in Poison Ivy in Texas and surrounding states my allergens/histamines explode at any opportunity.
aultguish on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:
In the hills above Loch Tay, absolutely none. Plenty non biting bugs about but midges are still snoring :-)
joan cooper - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk: Felt first ones out today on Skye but not very bothersome

Michael Gordon - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

If you suffer from allergies I'd advise staying in a hostel or similar. Certainly don't go to the 'Red Squirrel' campsite in Glen Coe - it's in the trees and is practically guaranteed to be midgey!
Kevin Woods - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

Still, humid and warm at Craigmore yesterday, just north of Glasgow (probably the midgiest central belt venue?). There were a fair few swarming about, just enough biting to get a bit annoying, but midgepocalypse (great term!) has yet to really kick in.
victorclimber - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

had them at 2000 ft plus on Arran today
Jim C - on 19 May 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

> Looking at spending half term in and around Glen Coe, my friend really wants to do Aonach Eagach Ridge, anything after that is a bonus.

Nip along to Glencoe ski resort and get a pod instead of camping?
http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accommodation.html

The ridge itself is usually clear at height ( but not always) but take a net for breaks just in case.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Oceanwall - on 20 May 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.