UKC

Camping Ariege

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tamati 20 May 2014
Following the advice from a previous thread I have purchased a guidebook and intend of spending approximately a week in the Ariege area of the Pyrenees.

Can anyone recommend a campsite?

Usually we opt for more basic facilities, but I don't mind extra mod cons providing I can camp in relative peace.

Thank you
 bergfuhrer 20 May 2014
In reply to Tamati:

Camping des Grottes. Niaux nr Tarrascon. Good facilities, quiet, central to many crags.
 Pencarth 20 May 2014
In reply to Tamati:

A lot of the campsites in the area are quite expensive but the municipal at Albies is cheap with good facilities and convenient for a lot of the crags.
 Darron 20 May 2014
In reply to Tamati:

I can recommend the site at Vicdessos (sp)
 john arran 20 May 2014
In reply to Tamati:

While not being an expert on local camping options (for obvious reasons!) I have heard good reports from people staying at Vicdessos. The Camping des Grottes site at Niaux is very nice, incredibly well placed and has a big pool with slides but it gets very busy with families in midsummer so may not give the 'relative peace' you're after. There's a site (Ariège Evasion) in our village of Ornolac - near Sinsat - that could be worth considering; it's very central and has access to swimming in still river water, but there are very many alternatives without having to drive very far. Bear in mind that for most French sites camping can work out more than Brits are usually expecting to pay and virtually on a par with gîte costs for some group sizes. I've heard that some of the Municipal sites are better value but by no means all of them and often they're a little out of the way, so it's useful to hear of these if people have good experiences.
Most sites will probably be fine and some quite a bit cheaper outside of the July/August peak so it really does depend on when you're planning to be there.
OP Tamati 20 May 2014
In reply to john arran:

Cheers John. Unfortunately we are stricted to UK school holidays. (Partner is a teacher)

I'll check out those places.

Thanks
OP Tamati 20 May 2014
In reply to Darron:

How much should I expect to pay for a week in August?
 Darron 21 May 2014
In reply to Tamati:

Sorry - cannot remember. They probably have a website.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...