UKC

Wrist pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 20 May 2014
Need some advice on some wrist pain. Not really changed anything from what i usually do week to week and started to get a strong pain on the outside of left wrist.

It's mainly when i turn my hand in (palm to floor) and when i've got a low horizontal left hand hold, locking it deep to go up and out right for another hold. So basically when the wrist is being lengthened on the side. Normal moves are fine, and feels fine on any sort of holds otherwise.

Did a relaxed 4x4 session last night, so pretty easy climbing, and it was quite sore on the start of each 4, but then seemed to warm up a little and was then ok, but not fully ok for each route.

Any advice other than 'just stop climbing for a few weeks' would be nice.
In reply to CharlieMack:

Cut back on your sexual activity?
Jen-na-far 20 May 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

I'm not a doctor or a physio, but I was diagnosed by my physio as having a broken TFCC after I landed on my wrist and it kept on hurting. My physio said there is not much one can do about a broken TFCC unless you want surgery (which is just silly). The pain and discomfort continued for some months but I think I'm just used to it now and it doesn't bother me that much while climbing, though I still can't do push-ups on palms so I have to do them on knuckles. If you do a google search on TCFF injuries you will see that it is quite common among climbers, if your experience is similar to other people's, then maybe that's it. Oh and stop climbing for a few weeks
needvert 21 May 2014
In reply to Jen-na-far:

I had a similar thing. A tear in some cartilage and damaged ligaments in the TFCC. For me pull ups on jugs were fine, say on a crimp, got a strong sharp pain. Pushups were a no, (and still are a bit iffy 2 years on.)

I did it climbing indoors . Just from grabbing a hold with my wrist bent outwards.

I thought it would go away as I didn't know what was wrong, after a few months I went to a physio, who then got an MRI done...Then it was off to a surgeon who stitched up the tear. Then a few months of recovery. All up had about a year off. Could have drastically reduced that if I'd gone straight to the physio.
OP CharlieMack 21 May 2014
In reply to needvert:

Starting to sound like what ive got bad times. Will go get it checked out.
needvert 21 May 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

I forgot to mention, but when it happened I had a sharp shoot up my arm. Very noticeable. Wasn't enough to let go, or not finish the climb.

Surgeon commented that the pain in the subsequent months, say, during crimping, was the tear opening up, and that there was a good chance it would grow.

Hopefully your injury is more minor! But even if its not, is pretty small in the scale of things.

Rog Wilko 21 May 2014
In reply to CharlieMack:

Is it your mouse hand? Sounds the RSI I developed about a year ago when I was doing a lot of work on Photoshop. Got an ergonomic keyboard and now prop my mouse hand up on piece of wood and hey presto it's gone. Just a thought, I'm no expert at all!
OP CharlieMack 21 May 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Nope it's my left hand. Had slight pain for a few days, then after an easy routes session it has been very sore. I.e. putting cups on a shelf hurt quite a lot.
It's starting to not hurt quite as much, but the pain is still definitely there a few days on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...