UKC

2000 audi a4 quattro vs. 2005 subaru outback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 20 May 2014

My car's finding it increasing difficult to get into work every day so it's definitely time for a change, trying to decide between a 2.5 petrol 05 subaru outback with 132k at £1995 and a 1.9t a4 avant quattro sport with 141k, start £750 (with 4 days on the bay). Both full service history from main dealers, new timing belts on both and long mot (but both need tax).

Always wanted an a4 but I'm interested in anyone who's had an outback as I don't know much about them, plus points are the bigger boot for sleeping in and better off road performance, it's age and petrol consumption are putting me off a bit.
Post edited at 12:34
 Tom Last 20 May 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Dunno about the Subaru, but I've got a similar age and same spec as the above A4, but in an A3. The seats drop down nicely in the A3 to allow just enough space to lie out flat to sleep, so should be similar, if not more space in the A4.
OP Sharp 21 May 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks Tom, going to have a look at the subaru today so I'll see what I think. People always cite the lack of boot space in the a4 as a draw back, I've just been spoiled having a focus for the last few years which is luxuriously spacious in the back but if you can stretch out in an a3 I guess it'll be comfy enough.
 hamsforlegs 21 May 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Haven't driven the Outback, but had a 2003 Legacy for a couple of years in Canada (near identical engine) and did a lot of research both before and after purchase. Subarus are not massively economical, but they drive and handle really nicely and can cope with a tough life! They seem to need very little maintenance in general, apart from...

Head gaskets. Check the condition of these. All of the Subaru horizontal layout 2.5s that were used from the late 90s until very recently are prone to head gasket failure; lots of cars around 10 years old that you find on the market have been shifted before the leaky HGs became terminal.

If it hasn't been done and there are signs of problems eg. moisture around the gaskets or oil in the coolant, then you could end up with a £2000 repair job to sort out at some point. The car will run for ages with the problem, but eventually you'll start losing engine pressure and things will really deteriorate. It will also go through a lot of oil.

Subarus do actually get through oil at the best of times; ideally you should run a light weight and keep an eye on levels.

Having said all of that, I loved our legacy and would happily buy one again.
 BnB 21 May 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Most of our local farmers (Yorkshire) drive Subarus of all vintages and they are considerably better thought of round these parts than Audis which are regarded, perhaps unfairly, as a form of automotive jewellery.

So the choice is obvious but for one thing: the cost of ownership won't be fuel (marginally higher consumption in the Subaru btw) but repair bills. So buy the car in the best condition with the least likely to go wrong. I'm afraid in a car over 10 years old, you are asking a lot to have no repair costs.
OP Sharp 21 May 2014
In reply to hamsforlegs:
Cheers, I'd come across the head gasket thing and it's the only thing that's holding me back, seems to be a when not if thing with them but I thought it was more of a trouble with earlier models.

There was no sign of leaking around the engine but I could (faintly) smell petrol when lifting the oil cap (they couldn't) and the oil and water were quite low, but the coolant was normal colour, no sludge, nothing in the oil, there was some steam out of one of the exhausts but it had been standing for a while and it was odourless and not smokey, sounded like water in the silencer but only on one side. It doesn't look like the easiest head gasket to get too, still surprised it would cost £2k though. is that if it's not caught early or is that just due to the nature of the horizontal engine? Will have to scour youtube and see how big a job it is...

I'd snap the audi up at that price if it hasn't sold though, it's a good year and if it's as advertised a well looked after a4 quattro sport would be a steal at that. If not then I'll just have to cross my fingers with the subaru, there's about £1k in new tyres, tax and recent repairs, it's cheaper than the going rate for them and unusually well looked after imo so if I don't hear from the audi seller then I think I'll just stump for it cause as BnB says, there's no guarantees with second hand cars and there'll always be something that you're unsure of. Although my experience has been cars in the 5-10 year bracket seem to cost people more, I've been lucky with repair jobs and only ever had 10yr plus cars.
Post edited at 18:47
 hamsforlegs 26 May 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Sorry for the late reply - been on the move a bit so couldn't check back.

The problem for the HGs is that to access them you have to remove the engine from the car. A bodge can be done, but it's a short term fix, and the real answer is to get it properly disassembled and sorted out. Usually it's a chance to get the pump and belts done so the whole job ends up giving you another decade of good running.

If you're burning coolant it smells sweet when you first rev the engine. The most important thing is to look for oil or wetness appearing in the engine underneath the head gaskets. Any sign of dampness and they are starting to go. Again though, our experience is that the expense of the fix was worth it if the rest of the car is in good nick - Subarus drive like nicer cars than their price tag in my opinion (though I've only ever driven new hire cars and old cars that I've owned).
 Lurking Dave 27 May 2014
In reply to Sharp:

I've got a 2007 Outback. It's had a hard life. Used on corrugated roads, driven through deep sand, thrown around generally and not given a heap of love.

It just works.

Cheers
LD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...