UKC

An unusual walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Evening,

On Friday I'm driving from Sheffield to Edinburgh and, as I'm under no particular time pressures, I was planning to break the journey up with a walk. What I'm after is:
* Not the Yorkshire Dales, Lakes or Howgills (done a fair amount of these).
* North of the Lakes for the sake of timings.
* ~4 hour walk, withing 1/2 hour of the M6/M74
* Something unusual that you'd either not think of or hurry past on the way somewhere else.

Interested to hear your ideas.

Cheers

Dave
 dixmarra 20 May 2014
In reply to mostly harmless:

Grey Mare's Tail, Loch Skeen & Lochcraig Head ?

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/scotland09.htm
 Steve Perry 20 May 2014
In reply to mostly harmless: Cross Fell.

fmck 21 May 2014

Look up Tinto. Its a very popular hill in Lanarkshire next to the 74. Very good path up.
 Mark Bull 21 May 2014

For something really obscure: Trahenna Hill and Broughton Heights from Broughton (E of Biggar).

Slightly more mainstream: Culter Fell, or something in the Pentlands (e.g. Carnethy Hill and Scald Law from Flotterstone).

pog100 21 May 2014

High Cup Nick and Cross Fell?
 graeme jackson 21 May 2014

take the A1 / A697 istead then you can take in the cheviots or the simonside hills. Much more pleasant drive than the motorway too.
 toad 21 May 2014

Anthorn / Solway Firth/ Solway Mosses. Flat, bleak, rarely visited. Incredibly beatiful and totally unlike anywhere else in England. Met a pig in a pub near (the other) Bowness once- Eating crisps out of a packet in the bar.
In reply to toad: Some good suggestions, thanks. I'll get the maps/bing out this evening.

Hopefully the weather will hold.

Cheers

Dave
 fmck 21 May 2014

Wanlockhead (Highest village in Scotland) is near the M74. Green Lowther can be accessed easily from the village by radar station road or footpath. It forms part of the Southern upland way, is a Graham peak and a Donald. Great view point and bizarre giant golf ball radar on top. Apparantly they used to bury the village suicide victims on the summit something they seemed to have a lot of.(Not recently)

Its about as obscure as I can think near the 74.

Pentland Hills have lots of options with great views of the Forth and Auld Reekie plus possible sight of West Coast features such as Arran.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...