UKC

How has climbing changed the way that you think?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tlm 21 May 2014
I was thinking about all the things that climbing has brought to my life, and then I started thinking about how it has changed the way I think about certain things. Has it made any difference to the way that you think?
OP tlm 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

So it hasn't changed anyone's thinking?! Goodness.

I think one thing it has taught me is that if you stand at the bottom and look at the whole of a route, it might look impossible! However, if you take it one move at a time, you often can do it. It's an approach that has been very useful with other things that I do in life...
 BAdhoc 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

I get distracted more easily in mundane everyday tasks by trying to work out a better way to do that move I struggled on at the weekend...
pasbury 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

Yes I agree it can change the way you approach fearful things in other walks of life.

Also climbing has made me realise that I have reserves of strength and resourcefulness that I can deploy when presented with sudden extreme danger like rockfall or potential groundfall.

One's attitude to death has also changed after looking it in the eye several times!!!
OP tlm 21 May 2014
In reply to pasbury:

I think another thing that changed for me, was that before I climbed, I thought that people who did things like that were a special sort of superhuman. Realizing that actually they are just ordinary people, who put in time and effort and who have the will to achieve has made me feel much more that if there is something that I want to do in life, then I should go for it...

I've become what I saw before as a superhuman!
 John Lewis 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

Interesting thought, yes it has.

More decisive, better able to assess a situation and therefore make a decision that is less emotive and more factual.

Restored some damaged self confidence.

More determined to persist through problems than before.

I'm sure there are more.

J

Robert Durran 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:
I think it helps me see through a lot of the shallow, petty bollocks that life and work presents me with and, as far as possible, ignore it.

Also I think I'm quite good at maintaining my composure and rationality whenever I nearly crash my car (it's a bit like stonefall).
Post edited at 11:41
 Jon Stewart 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

I think it's rather difficult to say. I started climbing in my early 20s when I was quite a different person in many ways. Of all the changes that have happened over that period, which are due to the influence of climbing?

Perhaps climbing provides some nice metaphors to apply to other situations. I'm about to start a job that I've trained for in university, but of course I can't actually do it yet. I'm approaching it like trying an E5. It's blatantly too hard for me to just turn up and do successfully, but if I top-rope it for a while first (I'm under supervision for my first year) and get good enough to do all the moves then eventually I'll be able to lead it clean (pass my qualifying exams next year).

I think that putting yourself into really scary situations and using your own resources to get back to safety has to improve one's overall confidence in dealing with the unknowns that life throws at you. Similarly I imagine in sport climbing that the process of beginning a task that seems impossible and eventually completing it must increase confidence at other difficult tasks that require perseverance. Using your brain in these ways must develop the apparatus that can be put to use in other ways.
In reply to tlm:

climbing's changed the way i think about myself. it's helped me to realise that i'm a scaredycat, have an aversion to trying very hard / failing, and am generally a bit lazy!

...on the other hand, it's also consolidated the knowledge that supportive friends, time out in beautiful places, and the distraction-free focus of movement (and mild peril) are really important to me.
 krikoman 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

None, apart for when I see some landscape shots and says, "there's climbing there"
 kwoods 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

> I think another thing that changed for me, was that before I climbed, I thought that people who did things like that were a special sort of superhuman. Realizing that actually they are just ordinary people, who put in time and effort and who have the will to achieve has made me feel much more that if there is something that I want to do in life, then I should go for it...

> I've become what I saw before as a superhuman!

I'd agree with this - I remember when I was younger, thinking 'E11... must be superhuman'. I still do, but only in that I appreciate the sheer amount of effort it would take to do something that high-level. I now know the path you'd follow to get there.

And I realise that motivation really means *everything*.
 RobertHepburn 21 May 2014
In reply to krikoman:

> None, apart for when I see some landscape shots and says, "there's climbing there"

I do that to! Also, whenever there is climbing in films I yell "Use your feet!" at the screen ...
 roar 21 May 2014
In reply to RobertHepburn:

Good question. In primary school I was told I was dyslexic, later told I could have A.D.D. Basically, I'm kinda disorganized and 'scatty'. I struggle to concentrate on one thing unless I am really, really interested in it or it's some thing that involves thought and movement, Like climbing or fly fishing.

I think climbing has helped me become more organised and conscientious to the point where I'm a bit obsessive or anal about some things. It's helped me develop systems to counter the forgetfulness/scatter brained moments I'm prone to. It's helped me become more health conscious and led to a healthier life style.

It's also helped me deal with fear in that I've learnt how to manage it. It's helped boost my self confidence and taught me to be more self reliant.
Also helped me move away from self destructive behavior (drinking and drugging).

Slightly melodramatic perhaps, but climbing changed my life.
 Neil Williams 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

Climbing, and in particular instructing, seems to have caused me to think very methodically about safety critical stuff, much more than I did before. Almost pilot-like.

Neil
In reply to tlm:

I was a complete physical disaster at school - I got a detention for failing a PE test!
However I was good at science and went to Uni on that basis, graduated then did a Post Grad Course in N Wales. There I met a fellow student who introduced me to climbing - at which I did quite well. It transformed my outlook and unlocked access to lots of other physical pursuits from football to canoeing. I ended up working in the outdoors and climbing has been a touchstone activity for the last 40 years. Going climbing always lifts my spirits and helps me get motivated to do other things - I cannot think of any other activity that does this. Rock it in a life of Uncertainty.
 marsbar 21 May 2014
http://aadduk.proboards.com/
In reply to roar:

You may ( or may not ) find the adult adhd website useful.
 marsbar 21 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

It made me realise I can do things that I thought I couldn't.

Misha 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

Made me think I need to get out of the rat race at some stage!
In reply to tlm:

less afraid of ladders
abseil 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

Climbing completely stopped me thinking about 'settling down and getting a good job', my parents wish, for a very long time. I have absolutely no regrets about that and climbing did me 99% good.

Climbing also gave me more confidence.
In reply to kwoods:

I totally agree. Climbing is an object lesson in motivation. As you say, with sufficient motivation one can achieve almost anything, without it you're stuffed. I think this applies to almost every human endeavor.

It has always fascinated me how the most important stage in climbing is perhaps before one even leaves the ground, or starts up a pitch, psyching oneself up for the challenge. In effect, one almost succeeds on a climb before leaving the ground!
 DaveHK 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

I use the word 'crux' with irritating frequency in daily conversation .
 Mick Ward 22 May 2014
In reply to John Stainforth:

> It has always fascinated me how the most important stage in climbing is perhaps before one even leaves the ground, or starts up a pitch, psyching oneself up for the challenge. In effect, one almost succeeds on a climb before leaving the ground!

Totally agree. A very high degree of correlation between inner dialogue/feeling and eventual outcome.

Mick
 Dave Garnett 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to tlm)

> I think one thing it has taught me is that if you stand at the bottom and look at the whole of a route, it might look impossible!

I think it's taught me that in general if you can see the whole route from the bottom, it's overhanging!
pasbury 22 May 2014
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

More afraid of ladders!
OP tlm 22 May 2014
In reply to pasbury:

> More afraid of ladders!

Me too! I thought that when I read moose's post, but didn't reply at the time.
 Fiona Reid 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

It's taught me I can do things I never thought I could do. It's taught me that sometimes it's worth taking a punt on something (be it weather, trying a route or whatever) rather than always trying to calculate all the pros/cons. It's made me appreciate how valuable life is.

oddtoast 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

It's taught me that playing out in the sun with your mates is too important to give up when you 'grow up'.
 MikeTS 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

Yes. In difficult non climbing situations I can stay calmer and sort out what to do and do it
 BusyLizzie 22 May 2014
In reply to oddtoast:

> playing out in the sun with your mates is too important to give up when you 'grow up'.>

Oh yes yes yes. And because I am a very boring middle-aged lawyer who came late to climbing that has been a liberating discovery.

Dave Garnett 22 May 2014
In reply to tlm:
> Has it made any difference to the way that you think?

I think it has given me a sense of proportion. I have become pretty intolerant of people at work describing an issue of some commercial urgency and import as 'a matter of life and death'.

Actually, if you climb at all seriously you make decisions on which your life might well depend quite routinely. I find it helps me make work-related decisions with a helpful dgree of rational detachment.
 stp 27 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

I think its changed the way I think about lots of things. The most major is that climbing has steered me away from the crass, consumerist culture that pervades so much of our society. Maybe I would never have gone in for all that anyway but climbing certainly nailed it for me. I realised pretty earlier on I was much happier living on very little money doing what I was passionate about rather than spending 40 hours a week doing something I had no interest in.

Part of climbing is travel. You go to different places and experience them in different ways from non climbers. I think that has to have a huge influence on the way we think.
 jkarran 27 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

It's hard to say, I've been doing it for a long time from my late teens so much of my growing up has been done against the backdrop of climbing.

It's confirmed to me that I'm a coward and it's the control I seek in climbing, not the thrill or the risk. My 18 year old self would have scoffed at that idea but I'm entirely comfortable with it.

It's also taught me that very ordinary people can do relatively extraordinary things if they're willing and able to commit fully to working hard toward the goal, beyond that and a little luck not much more is required.

I'm still disorganised with a very scatterbrained approach to preparation and kit, years of relying on it being there and working properly hasn't changed that, it's just forced me to get better at improvising with what I haven't forgotten or lost.

jk
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

Climbing has made me think that more things are physically possible than you think.

If you just calm down and consider the problem logically and according to the laws of physics and biomechanics, it's amazing what you can do.

Of course, though I have this maxim I am not brilliant at applying it. But at least I have it.
 Trevers 27 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

I've realised that doing an interesting/exciting sport doesn't necessarily make you interesting or exciting :P
 Jim Nevill 27 May 2014
In reply to tlm:

That most people I know are completely disinterested in my climbing activities!
But, being in my 60's I do think that climbing is a good way of keeping myself from becoming completely risk averse, which seems to be a feature of us (slightly) 'older' people. I've seen too many examples of people's envelope collapsing in around them and I don't ever want it to happen to me. But it will of course, but not from choice.
In reply to tlm:

> So it hasn't changed anyone's thinking?! Goodness.

> I think one thing it has taught me is that if you stand at the bottom and look at the whole of a route, it might look impossible! However, if you take it one move at a time, you often can do it. It's an approach that has been very useful with other things that I do in life...

I agree.
A useful metaphor, in NLP speak - 'chunking down' breaking into more manageable bits, makes an otherwise overwhelming task/ situation navigable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...