UKC

Brownstones (Lancashire) - Routes or boulder problems?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 22 May 2014
Hi all,
Now, me not being a boulderer and thus not familiar with the bouldering grading, I was wondering - are the climbs graded D and VD at Brownstones actually classed as routes or boulder problems? I mean some of them are just about high enough to be routes (compared to some other grit areas).
Any ideas?
Frank
 Bob 22 May 2014
In reply to Frankie boy:

They are simply named and graded ways up a piece of rock. How you think of them is up to you but for most Brownstones is a bouldering site, I don't think I've ever seen a rope in use there.
In reply to Frankie boy:

Boulder problems, not high enough for routes.
 quirky 22 May 2014
In reply to Frankie boy:

Having been a couple of times and not being a boulderer either...i would say they are only just high enough to be routes...most of the gear placements would probably mean decking anyway. Most of the bigger routes are used by people top roping them (my kids to name a few).
A nice little venue for a play on a sunny evening.
OP Frankie boy 22 May 2014
In reply to quirky:

Splendid thanks. I only did a few things there and topped out on them all and figured that they're really boulder probs, but just wondered about the D/VD grading on some of them. Granted, they're not worth roping up for, but I also wouldn't want to fall off near the top of some of them, even onto a mat.
I think when I cross them off, they'll be down as boulder probs rather than routes.
 john morrissey 22 May 2014
In reply to Frankie boy:

We did most of our climbing at brownstones years ago with a very hi tec beer mat bouldering mat.

definately bouldering. most will find the grades hard, especially if you transfer V grades from the climbing wall. even using english Tech grades they are still tough. Doubt you would find a 5c move on a route as hard as Digitation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...