UKC

Holiday in cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclue 23 May 2014
Can someone recommend somewhere in cornwall to go on holiday. We have two youngish kids

Near sandy beach suitable for kids
Reasonably quiet
Good to learn surfing/body boarding
Ideally has some reasonable off road running

Only been to cornwall few years back and didn't have a great time as I think we stayed in the wrong area
 sargy 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

I've always enjoyed Polzeath. Campsite right next to the beach, great for surfing. Some nice bays for running, and a nice walk/drive to the foot passanger ferry to Padstow for crabbing, fish n chips and drinking cider whilst dangling your legs over the side of the quay.
Alternatively, not Cornwall, but Croyde is lovely too. Choice of three great beaches for surfing, climbing, cliff top walks and the village itself is lovely too.
BrumSparky 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Another vote for Polzeath.
"The Valley Caravan Park".
Had some excellent times there in the past.
Walking is superb. Surfing, best in England. Quiet sandy beaches.
Great Big Plus.
 The New NickB 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

I love Polzeath, as suggested by others, but it really doesn't fit the reasonably quiet criteria, I am not sure anywhere that fits the rest of your criteria will.
 whenry 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue: Difficult to find somewhere quiet in Cornwall like that - I'd recommend somewhere the Padstow side of the Camel estuary. There are more beaches there, and Boobies Bay is normally pretty quiet (compared to Polzeath). Padstow itself definitely isn't quiet, but there are plenty of quieter villages around.

West Penwith could also fit the bill - not sure about the running though - but there are fewer beaches monitored by lifeguards.
 mbh 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

The Polzeath campsites do not look very quiet, and our adolescent kids, wqho have stayed in most of them, confirm this but Polzeath beach is huge and you can find quiet places to go during the day, and there is everything else around there that you are looking for.

You could also try the St Agnes area. This gives you St Agnes beach and Chapel Porth and Perranporth, all of different character, for surfing and boarding, and Trevellas Cove for rock pooling, plus rocks/sand for beach fun.

The Blue Hills campsite above Trevellas Cove is quiet, and the coast path running around St Agnes Head and all the way to Perranporth is great - I run it frequently.
 rockjedi12345 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Maybe try trebarwith strand great beach close to bude and polzeath. The tide is an issue on trebarwith but that just requires timming. Very quiet. As for off road running there are 1000 od miles of footpaths npt including the sw coatal path. Yhe camel trail is close by as is bodmin moor. Other than that get a map of Cornwall stick a pin in and it will be nice. Just avoid newquay unless stag parties and tacky pubs are your thing
 Mark Kemball 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Bude, where I live, would fit the bill - there's about 4 miles of sand at low tide, a choice of surf schools etc., and with a 1:25000 map, you can work out plenty of off road routes, or just follow the coast path. At the opposite end of the county, there's Sennen - a lovely spot.

However, a warning, all of Cornwall is rather crowded in the school summer holidays - we often go camping in Pembrokeshire - much quieter!
 BAdhoc 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

We used to stay opposite st Ives at Gwithian bay. Learnt to surf on the massive beach just in front. It's holiday chalets that are rented out by those who own them privately
 Jordon Fleming 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue: another vote for polzeth how ever if u want quite have a look at whitsand bay, their is a small campsite, just off the beach, loads of walking and coastal paths.

jhb0510 23 May 2014
I live in West Cornwall and love it, you might have to hunt around a bit for quiet depending on when you come, but we have great beaches, great surfing, great climbing, the running on the coast path is fantastic!

In reply to mbh:

> You could also try the St Agnes area. This gives you St Agnes beach and Chapel Porth and Perranporth, all of different character, for surfing and boarding, and Trevellas Cove for rock pooling, plus rocks/sand for beach fun.

> The Blue Hills campsite above Trevellas Cove is quiet, and the coast path running around St Agnes Head and all the way to Perranporth is great - I run it frequently.

Can I endorse this entirely - the area around Aggie ticks every single one of your boxes. You really won't go wrong. Plus, it's easy access off the A30 and the beer is great.

Aggie's your spot. If you want Butlinsesque cheap'n'nasty, there's a Haven holiday park in Perranporth, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a bunch of sites in and around Aggie, but a cottage might be your best bet.

Martin
In reply to notaclue:

Are you camping?
In reply to notaclue:

It'd go for Sennen, but I'm biased.
 Tom Last 24 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

The Roseland is as quiet as you'll get and has very good sandy beaches, same with The Culm and The Rame, you may ave to walk a bit. Would also second St Agnes area and Constantine/Boobies/Mother Ivey's as good bets. Polzeath is anything but quiet, same with Sennen, porthcurno etc. Running is good anywhere where there's coastpath, which happily is everywhere
 mbh 24 May 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Am off tomorrow to the Roseland for two nights camping so will report back - the camp site is at Treloan

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/england/south-west-england/cornwa...

which looks great for kids.

I'd echo Tom and others on the Padstow round to Watergate area, which takes in Constantine, Boobies, Mother Ivy then Watergate Bay itself. The little beaches are good for a quiet time, Watergate is there for the big beach surf school thing, and when we walked from Watergate to Trevoan (ace for rock pooling) a month or so ago, having first cycled the other way, I thought that the first few miles from Watergate seemed especially good for running. Not too hilly, soft underfoot, spectacular views at Bedruthan Steps and elsewhere.
 Tom Last 24 May 2014
In reply to mbh:

Hi mbh.

Hope you have a nice time on the Roseland, it's a great little area.

Check Towan beach out (not to be confused with Towan in Newquay) near St Anthony's Head for a great sandy beach, good swimming and it's in the Sun all day when it shines.

We recently did a bit of worthwhile bouldering on Carne Beach too, which was alright if you're in the vicinity.

Water's probably not far off warm enough for DWS at Nare too - which is fantastic climbing but seldom visited.
Have a good one
 mbh 24 May 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Will do, cheers
 mbh 28 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Well, the Roseland was just lovely. The Treloan campsite next to Portscatho is perfect for kids, with millions of them, a field for them to play in complete with football goal and an enclosure for animals that get fed each morning. The whole area has an aura of (affluent) calm, and views second to none elsewhere in the county, I thought. The beaches are no good for surfing, but are much emptier than Polzeath, Porthcurno etc while still ashving reasonable access by car. Then there's the excitement (for a child) of the ferry over to St Mawes and its castle.

I twice ran from Portscatho around the St Anthony's Head peninsular, and you will struggle to find a more scenic route than that. The path towards Nare Head is a bit overgrown with nettles in places, mind, but once you get to Pendower beach and beyond, all is forgiven.
 Trangia 28 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Rock is ideal for kids with a fantastic safe sandy beach and for you there is Polzeath with surfing nearby. Quiet and loads of off road running.

I used to take my kids there for many years whilst they were growing up.
 abr1966 28 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

All of the spots mentioned are great.....but popular! I used to go to north Devon instead as there is usually somewhere quiet with a short walk.....
In reply to abr1966:

As notaclue hasn't bothered to reply, it's probably not worth wasting advice from this point on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...