UKC

Post breaking bad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclue 23 May 2014
So we are just working our way through the entire box set of breaking bad (it completely missed us by until it actually finished).

So which box set should we get when we are done?
 arctickev 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

maybe "the wire" the first half of series 1 is slow but after that its excellent.

Kev
 BnB 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

+1 on the Wire but for something much tighter the first two series of The Killing are as good as TV ever gets.
 jethro kiernan 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

True detective
 yorkshireman 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

> So we are just working our way through the entire box set of breaking bad (it completely missed us by until it actually finished).

I've just heard that they're going to work on a prequel spinoff centred around Saul called 'Better Call Saul'. It'll have Jesse and Walt in there two as a bit more of a character buildup but won't be focussed on them.

Has the potential to be good as I think he was an excellent character and helped carry the series somewhat.

As noted, if you haven't seen The Wire, what have you been doing with your life? Get the box set today, close the curtains and use the three-day weekend for something productive like watching it all. Its been a few years since I finished watching it so reckon I'll rewatch it in the autumn at the start of the new box-set watching season (eg. dark evenings).
 TobyA 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Have you seen Orange is the New Black? Or maybe House of Cards?

Of course everyone should have seen the Wire, but that's a decade old now!
 seankenny 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

How about something a bit old skool and British like GBH or Our Friends from the North?
 Nick Harvey 23 May 2014
The Wire
House of Cards
Battlestar Galactica
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Arrested Development
The Killing
Modern Family
Band of Brothers
The Office
Californication
Orange is the New Black
 TobyA 23 May 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

> The Wire
See comments above.
> House of Cards
See comments above.
> Battlestar Galactica
I think I've grown out of scifi somewhat but having said that, who is watching Orphan Black? That's quite fun.
> Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Of course, but isn't that like saying you should read Jane Austen? Didn't everyone do that in their late teens?
> Arrested Development
Got a bit bored by maybe season three.

> The Killing
Only the Danish, not the US version.
> Modern Family
Yep, inoffensively 'mainstream' but still rather good.
> Band of Brothers
Yep.
> The Office
UK, seen, never been bothered to watch the US version.
> Californication
Watching the current season and starting to think it's gone on too long and is just going for shock humour. Loved it to start with but its perhaps past its prime. Still want to be Hank Moody for a few nights a week though...
> Orange is the New Black
Yep! Looking forward to season two soon.

Nick Harvey 23 May 2014
In reply to TobyA: I have never read Jane Austen. I am not a girl. I think the "of course" sums it up - its a right of passage surely?!

Having never seen the UK Office, I am pretty sure the US version kicks its arse/ass.

Phil Dunphy is my role model for fatherhood.

2 June for OitNB I hear.

Removed User 23 May 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

If you're after comedy the US version of The Office is fantastic. UK one is god awful.

True Detective was pretty good. House of Cards only if you're into politics/drama, otherwise boooooooring.
 gd303uk 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Dexter.
The Bridge.
The returned.
The Killing.
Mammon.
Parks and Gardens.
Arrested Development.
 Tom Last 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Homeland
 goose299 23 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> If you're after comedy the US version of The Office is fantastic. UK one is god awful.

Agree. The American Office is phenomenal
In reply to notaclue:

The Wire
Generation Kill
Homeland
Six Feet Under
Clauso 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Crossroads - A gritty tale of Brummie motel life, that speaks to the child in all of us.
 skog 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

We recently watched, and very much enjoyed, Breaking Bad.

We're now watching, and enjoying, Dexter (we're part way through series 2).

You can save a fair bit on boxed sets by binge watching on the likes of Amazon Prime or Netflix, I find!
richyfenn 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Not long finished Breaking Bad myself, great stuff! Started watching Game of Thrones recently and am thoroughly engrossed. Had I known there was so much nudity and sex I would have watched it sooner!
 TobyA 23 May 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

> I have never read Jane Austen. I am not a girl.

You should then!

> Having never seen the UK Office, I am pretty sure the US version kicks its arse/ass.

Really? You haven't seen the original? I heard the US version was rubbish for the first couple of season but got better if you stuck with it, but the UK version was groundbreaking.

> Phil Dunphy is my role model for fatherhood.

I quite fancy his wife... much more so than Gloria who you are obviously meant to want to boff.
 Nick Harvey 23 May 2014
In reply to TobyA: I absolutely agree. And not about the Jane Austen bit.
 TraverseKing 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Game Of Thrones!
paulcarey 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Walking Dead?

Just started season 2 and it is good. Let's see if they can sustain it!
Removed User 23 May 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Orange is the new black is absolute garbage, not even in the same league as breaking bad.
 Conor1 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Another totally subjective view on the best dramas:

Tier one (best):
The Wire; Treme; Generation Kill; True Detective; The Hours; House of Cards; Sopranos; Boardwalk Empire; Borgen

Tier two:
Game of Thrones; West Wing; Breaking Bad; Deadwood; Band of Brothers; Friday Night Lights; Broadchurch; The Killing; The Returned

Tier three:
The Walking Dead; 24; The Newsroom, The Shield, Life on Mars; Oz; Six Feet Under; Justified; Lost; The Bridge; Homeland; Awake

Tire four (poor but watch-able):
Dexter, Prison Break; Spooks; Southland
 lost1977 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

lots of good suggestions here but as i cant see it here i think i will add The Shield (might have to re watch this)
 frazzy4 23 May 2014
In reply to lost1977: I 2nd the shield. A proper gritty cop show

Removed User 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

The Americans has been a cracking show to watch. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2149175/ it was one of my post BB pick me ups
 dek 23 May 2014
In reply to frazzy4:

> I 2nd the shield. A proper gritty cop show

It's gritty all right, didn't one of the actors just murde his wife?

'Southland' is also brilliant, but shown at stupid times!
 cas smerdon 23 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Madmen
 TobyA 23 May 2014

> Orange is the new black is absolute garbage, not even in the same league as breaking bad.

I enjoyed BB, but I reckon OITNB is better. But, hey, other opinions are available.
 Tom Valentine 24 May 2014
In reply to dek:

I will say again that Southland is the best cop show ever to come from the US.

Unlike the Shield, the cops are not actually bent, but most have a few flaws.

Well worth watching (as is Detective Lydia Adams's backside)
 Blue Straggler 26 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Comedy - Community

Drama - Deadwood (though I have not got my teeth into the third and final season yet)
 ark05 27 May 2014

check out "underbelly" its an Australian gangster drama based on true events. Each season relates to a different event and is independent.
Post edited at 00:44

> (In reply to Nick Harvey)
>
> If you're after comedy the US version of The Office is fantastic. UK one is god awful.

Totally agree. Except your've got them the wrong way around.
Post edited at 00:45
 Iwan 27 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Scifi- Firefly

Humour- Inbetweeners

Mini series- The Pacific, Roots, Smilie's People, Edge of Darkness (1985), Prime Suspect
 Tom Valentine 27 May 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Deadwood tops the lot for me in all genres but it's unsatifying to watch the third series because it was prematurely cancelled and so a lot of stuff is annoyingly unresolved. (Not meant as a spoiler)
 FrankBooth 27 May 2014
In reply to notaclue:

We're working our way through Damages. It's pretty old now (2007), but well worth a watch and it's on Netflix. Excellent cast (including Glenn Close and Ted Danson) and interesting use of jumps in the narrative (hinting at past/future).
 Raymondo 04 Jun 2014
>Edge Of Darkness (1985)
In reply to Iwan:
What a series that was.
Still good today, but phenominal in its day.

In reply to OP:
What about Fargo ? (US or Canadian Production)

In reply to notaclue:

Justified
 tomrainbow 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Johnny_Grunwald:
Yep...Justified is ace.
 lost1977 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Johnny_Grunwald:

Justified is ok but hasn't gripped me in the way some other shows do.I can watch episodes and enjoy but can't imagine binging on it like breaking bad or GoT's
 Tom Valentine 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Raymondo:

I have given up with Fargo.

The Good Wife is streets ahead of anything else but since it's mainly a legal /political thing it might be a bit tame for UKC.

Instead, I nominate Boss: Frasier without the humour, a smidgin of violence and enough cocksucking to keep most genders happy.
 JamButty 05 Jun 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Seeing as I'm the only one on this site - what am I missing about Breaking Bad????

steve taylor 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Conor1:

> Another totally subjective view on the best dramas:

> Tier one (best):

> The Wire; Treme; Generation Kill; True Detective; The Hours; House of Cards; Sopranos; Boardwalk Empire; Borgen

> Tier two:

> Game of Thrones; West Wing; Breaking Bad; Deadwood; Band of Brothers; Friday Night Lights; Broadchurch; The Killing; The Returned

> Tier three:

> The Walking Dead; 24; The Newsroom, The Shield, Life on Mars; Oz; Six Feet Under; Justified; Lost; The Bridge; Homeland; Awake

> Tire four (poor but watch-able):

> Dexter, Prison Break; Spooks; Southland

Cheers for that - I'll queue up a few that I haven't seen on Piratebay tonight!
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to steve taylor:

or you could take a free trial of netflix for some of those
 steve taylor 05 Jun 2014
In reply to lost1977:

I'd have to play it through a VPN, which can be slow.

I'm still paying for Sky+ in the UK, so don't feel too guilty about it as I could download most of it if I was at home.
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014

fair enough i guess ive just become very used to using netflix
 yorkshireman 05 Jun 2014

> I'd have to play it through a VPN, which can be slow.

Not sure how slow - but I'm in rural France with a flaky 2mbit ADSL (never get that) and run UK Netflix using Unlocator. Its not HD but its definitely perfectly watchable - I'm very impressed at the level of compression they manage.

BBC iPlayer by contrast cannot handle the same network conditions and needs a good connection - ITV and C4 are even worse.

Worth trying though since both Unlocator and Netflix offer free trials.
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

its a shame you dont get HD, things like documentaries and films in HD are one of the reasons i get netflix
Mediocre Scientist 05 Jun 2014
In reply to

> So which box set should we get when we are done?

Love/Hate, it's just like breaking bad cos all the drug use is in the first three series.

There's no desert, mind.

steve taylor 11 Jun 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

OK - might have a go with Netflix then. There are quite a few risks with using torrents, not least the virus one. I struggle to get more than a few hundred kbits through my VPN though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...