UKC

Mountain Project App

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doad13 23 May 2014
Just had an email through from Black Diamond regarding the Mountain Project App. The quote below is from Black Diamond's website.

"With information on more than 19,000 climbing areas and 112,000 routes worldwide, the Mountain Project App is the essential mobile guidebook for climbers and mountaineers. Thanks to a partnership between Black Diamond and Mountain Project, the Mountain Project App is now available as a free download."

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/mountain-project.html?utm_source=hotwir...

Was wondering if anyone had used it, if you think its worthwhile and if you have recommendations of other apps?

Anyway i'll give it a download and see what its like
 Nick Russell 23 May 2014
In reply to Doad13:

I haven't used the app, but I'm an admin for the UK area of their site. In general the quality is really mixed, since all the areas and routes are submitted by users. Some people do a really good job of it, providing a lot of information; others just copy a line or two from the guidebook, which isn't really enough.

I would warn you that Mountainproject is primarily a US site so while 19'000 climbing areas sounds impressive, it's quite lacking in the UK. Certainly not a guidebook replacement here! I try to add areas/routes to the site as I do them, but it's pretty slow progress.
 GDes 23 May 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

I used it on an extended trip around California, Utah and Nevada and thought it was excellent. You might need the odd guidebook as well, but there's a huge amount of info on there, and it's really god for getting ideas for crags and areas to visit.
OP Doad13 23 May 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

Yeah having a look over it this lunch it seems as though it would be a great companion for trips to the states but the UK area is rather week.

I find with many of the apps available the quality of the context is mixed at best a bookmark to this site on my phone along with a printed guidebook is pretty much the best combination I have at the moment.

Slow progress is still progress!
 rgold 23 May 2014
In reply to Doad13:

Even in the US, the utility varies enormously. For example, it isn't at all uncommon to find route descriptions but little or no information on how to find the route, in which case it is only of any use to people who are already familiar with an area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...