UKC

worstest film ever?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 23 May 2014
Kindergarten cop.

beat that?
 Mr Lopez 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Battlefield Earth

Pete Dangerous 23 May 2014
I haven't seen it but I'm guessing Sharknado isn't great
 LastBoyScout 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Blair Witch project
You, me and Dupree
OP Choss 23 May 2014
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

> I haven't seen it but I'm guessing Sharknado isn't great

Its a bit derivative of Arachnoquake to be honest.
OP Choss 23 May 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Youre disqualified for Suggesting Blair witch.
In reply to Choss:

Artificial Intelligence was appalling I seem to remember
 Nick Harvey 23 May 2014
In reply to Pete Dangerous: I read that one TV channel commissioned a tornado disaster film, and another station commissioned a shark attack movie, so Asylum (the studio that make all these on a 30 day turnaround) just made one film to cover both. Business genius!

OP Choss 23 May 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Kim Jong Un offered a ridiculous reward to anyone who could get him a copy of sharknado before its release, a sign of its quality
In reply to Choss:
of 2014

Pompeii - effects are good. Kit plays John Snooooooooooooow (one hit wonder?) in Italy and Kiefer Sutherland's accent is cringeworthy!
Post edited at 16:07
 Hat Dude 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Mr Nanny starring Hulk Hogan

my ten year olds wanted to see it in 1993 and they thought it was a waste of and hour and a half
 Owen W-G 23 May 2014
In reply to Hat Dude:

Revenge of Billy the Kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=F-jXKDnjlGk&
 Tyler 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Revolutionary Road

john arran 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Titanic.

What do I win?
 FactorXXX 23 May 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

Revenge of Billy the Kid.

Sacrilege!
'Revenge of Billy the Kid' is so bad it's brilliant!

I saw it quite by chance. I was around a mates house and he'd sent his missus off to collect our Takeaways and a Western for our evenings entertainment.
After she left and a few beers later we put the film on. We were a bit confused at first, as we were expecting a Western featuring Billy the Kid getting his revenge.
However, we persevered. Glad we did! Old randy and disgusting farmer, shags his goat and the resultant mutant half man/half goat goes around killing people.
What's not to like!!!
(There's also a lard homage to Last Tango in Paris...)

paul-1970 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Dirty Dancing and Four Weddings and a Funeral

These two films aren't *bad films* in themselves, more films that annoyed, irritated, exasperated and made my cynicism meter catch fire. DD is almost beneath contempt as it's just a light, supposed feel-good, singy songy kinda thing. But I hate almost everything about Four Weddings.

I only didn't turn them off because the first film I had to sit through with an ex girlfriend, and the latter because I was politely sitting with the parents and they were sure I'd enjoy it...
abseil 23 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Sacrilege!

> 'Revenge of Billy the Kid' is so bad it's brilliant!

Exactly the same as "Plan 9 from Outer Space", famous as the worst film ever and yet unintentionally hilariously funny, see it if you ever get the chance.
In reply to paul-1970:

I agree about Four Weddings. In a completely different way I found Django Unchained pretty dire. Just how are people seduced by such gratuitous pap?
 aln 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Youre disqualified for Suggesting Blair witch.

How can he be disqualified for being correct?
OP Choss 23 May 2014
In reply to aln:

> How can he be disqualified for being correct?

Ill let you Know when they are correct!
Removed User 23 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

You've just spoiled that masterpiece for many people on here now

Worst film I can think of that wasn't actually meant to be crap was Glorious 39. I still bear the grudge from having a couple of hours of my life stolen.
 Yanis Nayu 23 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> You've just spoiled that masterpiece for many people on here now

> Worst film I can think of that wasn't actually meant to be crap was Glorious 39. I still bear the grudge from having a couple of hours of my life stolen.

That was brilliant!
 JuneBob 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

the hangover 3 - I would've walked out if it wouldn't have been rude towards the person who suggested it.
 JCurrie 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

The Matrix
mickeyluv 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

gigli apparently (i havnt seen it)
Removed User 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Mrs Doubtfire by a country mile.
Graeme G 23 May 2014

> I haven't seen it but I'm guessing Sharknado isn't great

Seen it twice...it's briliant. No way is it worst film ever. My contender is The Siege.
 Jonny2vests 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Australia.

Highlander 2
Highlander 3
Highlander N. Where N is an integer greater than 1.
 Jonny2vests 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

This conversation is almost pointless without Blue Straggler.
 TMM 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

The correct answer is 'Taken 3'.

Having been subjected to 'Taken' I can only assume the level of risible incredulity increase with 'Taken 2' and 'Taken 3'.
In reply to Removed User:

> Worst film I can think of that wasn't actually meant to be crap was Glorious 39. I still bear the grudge from having a couple of hours of my life stolen.

Agreed. Unbelievably bad. Definitely one of the crummiest films I've ever seen.
 FactorXXX 23 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

This conversation is almost pointless without Blue Straggler.

Won't he suggest something which is otherwise critically acclaimed in an attempt to appear even more superior and highbrow than us philistines?

aln 23 May 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> This conversation is almost pointless without Blue Straggler.

> Won't he suggest something which is otherwise critically acclaimed

Probably. And he'd probably be correct.
 HakanT 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:
Death Becomes Her in my opinion. Though I think The Room is more or less officially the worst film ever.
 rtinma 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the ludicrous Vertical Limit.
 Jonny2vests 23 May 2014
In reply to aln:

> Probably. And he'd probably be correct.

Steady on. His film ego is plenty big enough already.
 aln 23 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> His film ego is plenty big enough already.

Dunno if it's ego, I think he's just enthusiastic and knowledgeable about films. He does have an odd posting style which sometimes seems smart-arsey, but I don't think he is. A while back I started a thread asking for the name of a film from a few scenes I remembered. Although Straggler wasn't posting at the time, within 2 minutes he PM'ed me with the correct name of the film, as well as some genuinely interesting info about the making of etc. I thanked him. Minutes later he followed up with more info about the book it was based on, other films, plays etc. based on it. At no point did any of it come over as anything other than helpful and enthusiastic.

RockAngel 23 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Shark versus crocosaurus is on now!

This doesn't even sound so bad it's good
 Alex Riley 23 May 2014
Dear John, really really bad.
 Jonny2vests 23 May 2014
In reply to aln:
> He does have an odd posting style which sometimes seems smart-arsey

I used to climb at the same wall, seemed like a likable bloke. Knows a lot about films for sure. But thinks about it way harder than I can be arsed with, I'm just a film bimbo (a fimbo?) in comparison.
Post edited at 23:11
In reply to Choss:

The Beach, the only time i've ever walked out of the cinema due to boredom.

Sharknado is a gem. Treat it as intended and it is the "Citizen Caine " of made-for-television disaster horror B movies.
In reply to Choss:

The last two Spielberg films I've seen were absolutely dreadful - War Horse and Lincoln. Lincoln was just about tolerable because of Daniel Day Lewis's very fine performance. But the very wordy script was atrocious, and told an extremely boring story. It was very long (I think nearly 3 hours?) but felt like about 10. War Horse was even worse. I think well over 2 hours, and definitely two hours of my life taken away for ever. All the theatricality and panache of the stage version was lost, and replaced by a yucky sentimental 'realism' that bore no resemblance to anything real whatever. Absolutely nothing worked. The attempt to depict an abstraction of the Great War (trenches etc) was so derisory as to be offensive. The 'authentic English' scenes had all the authenticity of an endless TV commercial for Comfort conditioner. An all-time cinematic embarrassment. The best moment in the movie was the fade to black at the end of the interminable credits. Who would ever have dreamt that the director of Duel and Jaws would one day be making films that were so dull as to be a form of torture?
 HansStuttgart 24 May 2014
In reply to abseil:

Meteorites! fits this category as well
OP Choss 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

The Anaconda films... but im wavering on thinking they may be in the so Jaw Droppingly bad, that they are in the watchable category?
OP Choss 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

And the top 3 film Franchises ive not seen, but have seen enough Clips, and Heard enough about, to Know they are worstest...

sex in the city.
Transformers.
the human Centipede.
 Bulls Crack 24 May 2014
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

> The Beach, the only time i've ever walked out of the cinema due to boredom.

Better than the book
 Dax H 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Anything that stars Danny Dyer
 Al Evans 24 May 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Dead Poets Society, probably the only hired film I did not bother to finish.
 Dom Whillans 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Deathrace 2000.
 mack 24 May 2014
In reply to Dax H:

> Anything that stars Danny Dyer

true of 99% of his crappy films but Severance was very funny.

Blair Witch was utter intolerable shite (Hush Choss, it's shite..just accept it) =)

Also 'Shag'.. gets 6.2 on IMDB but when we went to see it at the cinema most of the viewers had walked out around the twenty minute mark, us included. Terrible film!
 Yanis Nayu 24 May 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Agreed. Unbelievably bad. Definitely one of the crummiest films I've ever seen.

Gordon, someone has hacked your account and spouted nonsense in an attempt to discredit you.
 Quarryboy 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

The phantom menace
In reply to Choss:

Just dreadful
 irish paul 24 May 2014
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

The neutrinos have mutated.....!
 gd303uk 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:
Transformers is worth watching for the fanny alone, plus its got robots that turn into cars.

worstest could be; gigli, highlander 2, roadhouse, Righteous kill , Ishtar, and there is a shark movie with sharks in a house yet outside is dryish,

and as for Danny Dyer, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, i enjoyed Severance
Post edited at 14:16
 Clarence 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Superbad, I managed an hour because I had paid to see it but eventually I had to retire to the pub opposite and kill some braincells.
 BnB 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Some great choices guys. I'm tempted by Warhorse I must say but feel anything with a numeral shouldn't really count, even Highlander 2 (not least because it turns out the original was far more shit than we originally thought it was back in the 80s). No, I'm going for Kenneth Brannagh's Frankenstein, or, to give the film its full name Kenneth Brannagh directs Robert de Niro as Frankenstein's monster but you'll have lost the will to live long before we get to the only good bit which is Helena Bonham Carter being fried by lightning, there I've gone and spoiled it for you.

I've grown more fond of HBC as she's grown up, mind. Wouldn't have wanted to see her fry in the King's Speech.
In reply to Choss:

V for Vendetta - pathetic toy town radicalism.

And yet presumably beloved by all the witless tossers you see running around in lookalike Guy Fawkes masks.

Whats wrong with a scarf and a brick? It worked for my generation.

Jonny2vests 24 May 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Dead Poets Society, probably the only hired film I did not bother to finish.

Don't be ridiculous. However trite you think it is, it's nowhere near the worst east film ever.
 Puppythedog 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Although you have all made some interesting suggestions their papness falls away when compared to 'The Sweeney" with Plan B and Ray Winstone in it. I was genuinely and truly angry at having wasted my time watching it, and worst having bought it on DVD.
Removed User 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

On Golden Pond. Thread over.
 gdnknf 24 May 2014
In reply to TMM:
> The correct answer is 'Taken 3'.

> Having been subjected to 'Taken' I can only assume the level of risible incredulity increase with 'Taken 2' and 'Taken 3'.

I was subjected to Taken once. Never getting that part of my life back sadly.

Shortly after I was subjected to Sucker Punch. That was dreadful! I'll take a month of 'style of ascent' debates on here instead of that tripe any day.

And then, in the TV series genre, 'Person of Interest'. One episode was enough. Too much actually.

And what's that claptrap about that boy with telekinesis and it is all shot like the Blair with Project? I walked out of that one. Got my money back too. It was so bad I've forgotten the name..

EDIT: And the HANGOVER! What a load of trollop. At the time I felt like the only person on earth who didn't understand the humour. Everyone around me were laughing like a bunch of high gibbering baboons. Weak.
Post edited at 17:07
 KingStapo 24 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Mario Kart on the SNES.

It's not a film but I really didn't like it and feel the need to tell people.
 aharbey 25 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Avalanche Sharks. No, wait. That's so bad it's funny. Movie 43.
 Tom Valentine 25 May 2014
In reply to TMM:

I was surprised to discover that Tekken is a japanese film; quite naturally I assumed it was a Yorkshire dubbed version of Taken.
Graeme G 25 May 2014
In reply to rtinma:

> I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the ludicrous Vertical Limit.

That doesn't qualify as it's a documentary.
 mrdigitaljedi 25 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Solaris biggest waste of 3hrs of my life i will never get back...
 hokkyokusei 25 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Kindergarten cop.

> beat that?

Thomas and the Magic Railroad.

How Alec Baldwin can live with himself I don't know.
 MonkeyPuzzle 25 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Michael Jackson's Moonwalk. Holy feck is it bad.
 Arcticboy 25 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Watched Doom last night. I have no idea why I made that decision and it's not one I intend to repeat. Truly dreadful.
 Blue Straggler 26 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Bobby Deerfield
In reply to Clarence:

I really liked Superbad.

Bad films: Paranormal activity- terrible. Saw it at cinema, no particular plot and nothing happens.
The Grinch. Saw this as a kid and thought it was terrible.
The Hurtlocker. No particular plot again.
 graeme jackson 26 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

I've just sat through the 4th pirates of the Caribbean on bbc and whilst not quite as bad as Blair Witch it comes a pretty close second.
 ripper 26 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

my two penn'orth: any Dan Brown adaptation starring Tom Hanks
 eltankos 27 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

I agree on Australia, utter dire-ness from start to finish.
In reply to Choss:

Noah. Watched it in the cinema.....well, the first hour. Utter tripe
 ThunderCat 27 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Couple of guys at work bring in naff DVDs to outdo each other in the naffness stakes. This is the current high roller:

http://mayonnaisebathtub.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/death-ring-1992.html

Notice the headline "NORRIS!!!! MCQUEEN!!!!SWAYZE!!!"

No, it's not the ones you're thinking about. It's their brothers / sons.

Looks awful. Can't wait to see how much of it I can sit through.
 AllanMac 27 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

Gravity.

CGI-heavy trash.
 Tom Valentine 28 May 2014
In reply to AllanMac:

Even the people who have reservations about "Gravity" will regard your nomination as well off the mark.
Whatever its faults, its not the worst film ever made.
 redjerry 28 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

This discussion ends here.

http://godsnotdeadthemovie.com/
 chrisa87 28 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

The kill list
 coreybennett 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

It is nothing compared to birdemic
 Dauphin 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

The Manitou.

D

P.S. B.S. Bobby Deerfield is an okay sunday afternoon weepy. Pacino burning on the screen and Marthe Keller who is a fox. We may of had this exchange previously.

The New NickB 03 Jun 2014
In reply to JuneBob:

> the hangover 3 - I would've walked out if it wouldn't have been rude towards the person who suggested it.

I suspect I would have been unbelievably rude to the person suggesting well before getting anywhere near a cinema.

I think "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is the worst film I have been to the cinema to watch. Not my choice.
 The New NickB 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Even the people who have reservations about "Gravity" will regard your nomination as well off the mark.

> Whatever its faults, its not the worst film ever made.

Half the people on this thread have chosen to nominate films that are by most measures pretty decent and a number that are very good, not to mention Oscar and BAFTA winners.
 Blue Straggler 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Dauphin:

> P.S. B.S. Bobby Deerfield is an okay sunday afternoon weepy. Pacino burning on the screen and Marthe Keller who is a fox. We may of had this exchange previously.

OK. Bicentennial Man suit you any better?

I actually watched Bobby Deerfield on a Sunday afternoon. If we've had this exchange before, you'll know that I blame Sidney Pollack who, as a director, had a nifty habit of taking great premises and draining nearly all the promise out of them (as a producer he was OK, and as an actor he was great fun!). All his successes would have been much better in other peoples' hands and were basically saved by the performers. Sadly, Bobby Deerfield didn't have much going for it, in STORY terms, in the first place.
The reason I class it as "worst ever" is that Pacino was at his peak when it was made, and presumably Marthe Keller although soon thereafter forgotten, was a classy A-lister (I liked her in Black Sunday). And Pollack was a respected big-hitter. So it should have been a great adult drama. It was, instead, just crap

Tom Valentine 03 Jun 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I agree. I mean, I despise Top Gun but I wouldn't call it the worst film ever made.

The late David Carradine's film Long Shot/ All Hell Broke Loose would go straight to # 1 if people had the chance to see it.
 Dauphin 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Bicentennial Man. Patch Adams. What Dreams May Come. All total shockers. I watched the first all the way through like some filmic car crash I couldn't turn away from. Thinking about it now all these years later makes me want to hunt down Williams and punch him for crimes against cinema.

Steve Martin has a similar penchant for making complete dross - hard to believe the man who starred in The Jerk and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was making Cheaper by the Dozen, Parenthood and Father of the Bride 1 and 2.

Another total surprise was Walter Mitty. I'm not sure Ben Stiller can ever be forgiven for this high concept overwrought mating drama / turd. Even the cinematography and sound track couldn't save it.

D

jethro kiernan 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Grown ups & pretty much any thing with Adam Sandler in, wife got rented DVD in mistaken believe it was a comedy
 graeme jackson 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:
Started watching Two headed Shark Attack last night. It was so bad I had to give up at the first interval.

edit. here's a very accurate review. could almost be straggler...
http://yourmomrocks.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/2-headed-shark-attack/
Post edited at 09:45
Ste Brom 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

six heads in a duffle bag.
 Motown 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Benjamin Button. Unendingly shite.
 Scarab9 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

> Revenge of Billy the Kid.

how very dare you! That film is amazing! (in one of those 'so awful it's brilliant' cult ways)
 Blue Straggler 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

> six heads in a duffle bag.

Is that the prequel to Eight Heads in a Duffel Bag?
Ste Brom 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thats how poor it was.
 Chris the Tall 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Braveheart
 Snot 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

If you thought Megashark Vs. Giant Octopus was bad wait until you see Boa Vs. Python.
 Toccata 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

In terms of absolute dreadfulness (rather than personal as Gladiator would feature) I propose True Blue, Lesbian Vampire Killers (Corden's attempt) and Waterworld.
 felixizzy 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Scream 6
In reply to Toccata:

I really don't think Waterworld was as bad as War Horse.
 Andy Long 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Erazorhead.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

For a laugh, it is worth checking out Stewart Lee on the Scots and Braveheart - if you haven't already. It's on Youtube.
 Dtharme 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

It has to be Vertical Limit, the only film I've ever walked out on!
 The Potato 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

There will be Blood
Tim Chappell 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

The worst film *I've seen* is Burn After Reading. But there must be lots worse that I avoided because they had helpfully giveaway titles.

One of my Top Tips would certainly be never to go to see anything with chipmunks in the title.
 Clarence 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

I bought The Exorcist - The Complete Anthology at the weekend, mainly because I loved the original, liked The Exorcist III and Exorcist - The Beginning and hadn't seen the other two. Dominion The Prequel is good, basically a parallel version of The Beginning but The Exorcist II - The Heretic is something else entirely!

The whole thing revolves around a frankly ludicrous idea of synchronised hypnotism which causes some kind of telepathy but the star of the show is Richard Burton. For most of the film he sounds like he is somewhere else and at times you can see his blank expression as he reads his lines off a cue-card somewhere behind the camera. Burton's worst performance and a dire film all round. Well worth watching!
 Urban5teve 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Naked Lunch

What the hell was this film about??
 Martin W 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> The worst film *I've seen* is Burn After Reading.

Odd one that: we enjoyed it when we saw it in the cinema, but when it turned up on telly a few years later we gave up on it after about ten minutes. We honestly couldn't understand what we'd found good about it the first time round.
 crustypunkuk 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Jack and Jill.
Still don't know why I watched it all the way through, but i did, and I can never get that time back. Ever.
 PeterM 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Obviously not the worstest films ever, but recent movies that have annoyed me through being just awful (thankfully on TV - didn't pay to see) were Colombiana, The Social Network, and The Adjustment Bureau (this really was 22 Carat shite)
 Offwidth 25 Jun 2014
In reply to PeterM:

I despair with posts like yours: so many films broadly respected as good in quite a few respects end up getting listed; sometimes even widely acclaimed masterpieces (the 'comedians' suggesting these, should stick to the day job). It is plain dumb to post issues seemingly purely based around taste when there are movies that are very expensive, poorly plotted and casted, badly written, terribly directed and mincemeat edited, some of which are disliked even within the genre target audience. Those criticising low budget art-house movies especially deserve to burn. 'I dont like it so it must be shit' is egotistal guff and since when did 'over-rated' become the same thing in english as 'worst'.
 gd303uk 25 Jun 2014
In reply to UrbanSteve:
> Naked Lunch

> What the hell was this film about??

Sorry but no David Cronenberg films are allowed in this thread, we have moved this post to the correct thread about great movies and directors. D
Post edited at 14:24
Tim Chappell 25 Jun 2014
In reply to PeterM:

What's anyone here's least favourite classic film, i.e. film that is supposed to be really good, but you watched it and you thought it was complete codswallop?

My two would be

Withnail and I (sorry, London luvvies whining about being in Cornwall could have been funny; unfortunately, this just isn't)

Taxi Driver (barmy loner spends a long time preparing his own elaborate firearm-based suicide; why should anyone care who isn't his mother?)

Offwidth 25 Jun 2014

Why not start a new thread?...I'd fight you for that view on those two films but its way more honest than some of the nonsense getting posted here.
 knighty 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

None of you know terrible until you have sat through any of the 11 films starring Weng Weng.
Tim Chappell 25 Jun 2014
In reply to knighty:

Are we talking Cantonese action films here?
 graeme jackson 25 Jun 2014
> (In reply to PeterM)
>
>
> What's anyone here's least favourite classic film, i.e. film that is supposed to be really good, but you watched it and you thought it was complete codswallop?
>
I thought Gladiator was unutterable shite. Also couldn't understand the fuss over blair witch.
 knighty 25 Jun 2014

Close! Filipino actually. He stars as a James Bond type character but is less than 3ft tall...
Tim Chappell 25 Jun 2014
In reply to knighty:

Is he a pocket rocket? Was 007 allocated him by Q?
 PeterM 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> when there are movies that are very expensive, poorly plotted and casted, badly written,

I felt my 3 met these criteria

Offwidth 25 Jun 2014
In reply to PeterM:

I'm sure you did, but you didnt say that or otherwise make it clear why they are overall worse than some very strong compettion. You could also have been humerous about it but instead you chose to label a few films, broadly regarded as middling if flawed by most, with no reasoning whatsoever. So why post? Lazy breeds lazy, so is it really the producers' and director's fault or is more about the lame audience, as illustrated by the many unthinking comments on this thread, that we face so much stuff in film that is plain terrible or could have obviously been a lot better.
 mbh 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

(spoilers!)

I thought Prometheus was awful. Horror isn't really my thing, but I wanted to see what Ridley Scott could do in this. Not much, it turned out. There were so many plot holes it just didn't make sense. Why would you entrust a mission like that to that bunch of stragglers, why did they land at the first flat place they saw on the strange planet, why did they go right up to the weird alien snakey thing without any idea of how aggressive it might be, how would anyone be able to run around minutes after having not just any old caesarean, but self-administered one that gave birth to a monster from hell....???
 PeterM 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> I'm sure you did, but you didnt say that or otherwise make it clear why they are overall worse than some very strong compettion.

- Do you really need it explained?

>You could also have been humerous about it but instead you chose to label a few films, broadly regarded as middling if flawed by most, with no reasoning whatsoever.
- It was in the spirit of the op.

>So why post? Lazy breeds lazy,
- because I can. It's a UKC thread about movies, i.e. not important or serious.

> so is it really the producers' and director's fault
- A lot of the time yes it is. They constantly underestimate the viewing public, are generally patronising and fail to come up with decent original films.
>or is more about the lame audience
- No. See above.
> as illustrated by the many unthinking comments on this thread, that we face so much stuff in film that is plain terrible or could have obviously been a lot better.
I'm really quite impressed at your consistently high quality posts and level of spelling considering your current cranio-rectal situation. Maybe a career in screen writing awaits? Although I'd avoid comedies if I were you...
 The New NickB 25 Jun 2014

> What's anyone here's least favourite classic film, i.e. film that is supposed to be really good, but you watched it and you thought it was complete codswallop?

> My two would be

> Withnail and I (sorry, London luvvies whining about being in Cornwall could have been funny; unfortunately, this just isn't)

You obviously weren't paying attention, at no time in the film are they in Cornwall.
 mbh 25 Jun 2014

I don't know where they were, but I agree with Tim on that film.
 The New NickB 25 Jun 2014
In reply to mbh:

I found it disappointing, although the views of Skye at the start were nice. I have seen many worse films. My girlfriend liked it more than I did.
 Blue Straggler 25 Jun 2014
In reply to mbh:

> bunch of stragglers

Not guilty m'lud!
 Offwidth 25 Jun 2014
In reply to PeterM:
I'm not blaming you exclusively, or even in the minority, and yes the OP made what I'd regard as a dumb starting post. The lemming defense (no intended link to the regular here of the same name) just doesnt work for me (he jumped so......)...... or you going for the Mornington Crescent gambit?

As a film lover and a UKC regular I just wish most would try at least a little bit harder (or not bother at all), as some posters actually did. Life is too short to ape hollywood and pack it out with shit..
Post edited at 17:56
Tim Chappell 25 Jun 2014

> You obviously weren't paying attention, at no time in the film are they in Cornwall.

I'm sure you're right. You could also have pointed out (he says, consulting wikipedia) that Travis Bickle doesn't die in Taxi Driver.

But, you know what--it's actually the director's job to make me care about the plot enough to grasp it?
 Offwidth 25 Jun 2014

No that's not the case as the film was made for mass market commercial and artistic reasons, not to induce a caring emotion about the plot in every individual who saw it. Plenty of people, including most critics, were moved by that film and it did well financially, so as such the director did his job fine.
Tim Chappell 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Oh well, in that case, obviously I must be wrong.

You wouldn't be mixing me up with someone who gives a toss, would you?

Offwidth 26 Jun 2014

Playground dislike threads in general bug me (straight "I hate x" stuff), especially on things I like, like films or climbing routes, but the specific person is normally just part of a depressing crowd of the unthinking. On the other hand on the very same threads I can usually appreciate a good rant based on concrete issues and/or humour, even on things I love.

In this case I do care about the director and the others making that particular film in the little way they enhanced many lives with their art, despite working in an environment that encourages commercialism over quality. Its also interesting it's you being rather childishly dismissive as you have had huge detailed arguments on here about things you care about and normally display wit when having fun.
Tim Chappell 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Probably related to beer levels...
therockninja 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

CHUD is the worst film everrrrrr
 Scarab9 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Not quite on topic but I've just recalled the worst film experience of my life.

An 11 hour (I think, may have been 14) coach ride through Mexico on extremely windy mountain roads feeling horrifically travel sick, while having a marathon session of Steven Seagal films blasted out one after the other for the entire trip.
In Spanish.
and not even the ones you might know but really obscure and vastly more terrible ones.

I feel sick thinking about it. Sick and violent.
 _sllab_ 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Harry Potter
 Richt79 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Troy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...