UKC

Dewalt or Bosch Professional

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 24 May 2014
Any opinions. I was going to buy a new Bosch drill/driver but I notice the Dewalt are now almost £100 cheaper for the drill, 2 batteries and a charger. Like for like battery sizes and voltage.
 sbc_10 24 May 2014
In reply to Philip:

Check the battery type. Older cordless have Ni-Cad, newer ones are Lithium-ion. I saw quite a few of the Ni-Cad Dewalts at very good prices but read somewhere about they were being phased out due to environmental disposal costs etc...
Anyway, check the type before committing to a purchase.
 gd303uk 24 May 2014
In reply to Philip:

Dewalt isn't the same as it used to be, Bosch pro is good, or check out Milwaukee ,
Google Milwaukee drill driver set
 mike123 24 May 2014
In reply to Philip:
Assuming that de Walt only make tools in one factory (it's oft rumoured that Makita make tools with different internals) then the de Walt will be as good if not better than the Bosch, I ve got a mix of Makita and Bosch pro and think the quality is about the same . I've worked a bit with the brother in law, in aus. All his tools (and most others on site) are de Walt , in my limited experience they are the de fault tool for tradeys in aus and are as good if not better than Makita or Bosch , they just are nt as popular here.
Post edited at 09:39
 mike123 24 May 2014
In reply to gd303uk: happy to be corrected , I'm talking 3 years ago.

gd303uk 24 May 2014
In reply to mike123:
Dewalt are still good I have several drills by them but some have plastic gears and have died, not all though. if you can get dewalt with metal gears and a good battery they are still brilliant.
I use makita, dewalt and Milwaukee kit mostly , the new lighter battery drill drivers are excellent.
Post edited at 09:58
andymac 24 May 2014
In reply to Philip:
Get a Bosch

I got an 18v 4ah GSB as I needed a back up drill while one of the Makitas was once again getting fixed.

It was only £200 with 2 batteries ,and has been the best drill I have ever had.

It was intended to be used for light duties ,but now gets used for everything .Its a trooper.

So good I'm going to get another one.
Post edited at 09:59
andymac 24 May 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Dewalt are still good I have several drills by them but some have plastic gears and have died, not all though. if you can get dewalt with metal gears and a good battery they are still brilliant.

> I use makita, dewalt and Milwaukee kit mostly , the new lighter battery drill drivers are excellent.

Ive got a 12 year old 18v XRP drill.

Compared with today's more compact drills ,it weighs a ton.and looks a bit dated.

But she still has the power.

Might try a Milwaukee . I got as far as the counter with an 18v Festool which was very nice.

I then gave myself a dry slap and decided ,No. Can't justify the price
 gd303uk 24 May 2014
In reply to andymac:
Off t check out Festool,

Yep they look good and pricey, ouch ,
Any tool that makes the job easier, faster or even pleasurable to use is worth the extra cost ,
That's what I tell myself anyways
Post edited at 11:33
 mattrm 24 May 2014
In reply to Philip:

I've got a DeWalt. If it's just for DIY use, it'll be fine.
Springfield 24 May 2014
In reply to Philip:

I have dewalt at home and haven't been that impressed with battery life, power etc. We have Bosch at work and they seem to last forever and have good power
Removed User 24 May 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

do not even think of looking at any Festo gear unless you intend to buy it-the best gear available, and by some margin too.
 mark s 26 May 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Dewalt isn't the same as it used to be, Bosch pro is good, or check out Milwaukee ,

> Google Milwaukee drill driver set

another vote for milwaukee,we use them at work and massively better than dewalt.
the mile flows through cars like a knife through butter.
In reply to Philip:

I say go and pick them both up and see which is more comfortable. If you hate the way it feels you wont want to use it no matter how good it is.

That's why I swear by Hitachi personally.
 Toerag 28 May 2014
In reply to Philip:

If you're thinking of using it to drill into rock or concrete blocks then you need an SDS drill - anything else simply doesn't do the job effectively or efficiently. Bricks are soft and can be drilled with any old hammer drill.
I've owned a Dewalt 18v cordless drill for about 13 years - it now sparks a fair bit from the motor and the batteries (nicads) have started to give up the ghost, but it's had some heavy DIY use (the local stone here is the hardest granite in the UK). At work the field engineers get given Bosch GBH cordlesses as they regularly have to drill through walls 2foot thick of the aforementioned solid granite - they've performed excellently. I recently bought a non-cordless Bosch hammerdrill and it is superb. I think you should go with whatever is on offer or sold by the local shop you like to support unless SDS is a requirement, in which case go with Bosch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...