UKC

which grit edge in showery conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 25 May 2014
Hoping to get out to the Peak district tomorrow but forecast is quite showery. Could someone recommend a couple of grit edges that dry out quickly? Pref with good selection of climbs in the lower grades.
Thanks
In reply to FrankBooth:

Windgather. Showers pass by quickly. You can see them coming. The car is only 2mins away if you need shelter. The crag has climbs in the lower grades that are not overly affected by being damp. Wind direction might even be favourable (face in the lee of the wind). Enjoyable small venue. Nik
 alasdair19 25 May 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

Froggat has caves to hide in as has stanage. Trade of warmth versus wind drying... Windgather sounds clever too not really my side.

Black rocks is nice and could escape showers if the weather is still coming in from north...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 May 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

> Black rocks is nice and could escape showers if the weather is still coming in from north...

Black Rocks (apart from the West Face) is gloomy and green after any damp weather,

Chris.

Jonny2vests 25 May 2014
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

> Windgather. Showers pass by quickly. You can see them coming. The car is only 2mins away if you need shelter. The crag has climbs in the lower grades that are not overly affected by being damp. Wind direction might even be favourable (face in the lee of the wind). Enjoyable small venue. Nik

Stanage has almost the same spec, but it's a billion times better.

But if the question were rephrased 'where is it less likely to rain', then I'd say Stoney Middleton is a good bet, but it's not Grit.
OP FrankBooth 25 May 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

thanks everyone. I think we're going to head to Froggatt and take it from there
 ripper 25 May 2014
In reply to FrankBooth:

I've heard 'Birchen always dries fastest after rain' several different times, from several different locals, and it has lots of lower grades (if you can get off the ground that is, first moves tend to be hardest)
 Offwidth 26 May 2014
In reply to ripper:

Not strictly true as any grit crag with no seepage and facing a breeze and/or the sun will dry fast and Birchen is fast drying but not strictly the fastest. A benefit of Birchen are the cave routes. You, can climb The Propriaceptive Octet in rain. Shining Cliff is another crag with cave routes, Roaches another.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...