UKC

Ideas for an Alpine Cragging/VF Holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TXG 26 May 2014
Hello.

I'm planning to go to the Alps this summer with the missis, and we're looking for somewhere with good Alpine cragging (5 or more pitches up pointy things, with easy access and descent - basically "Plaisir" style), good Via Ferrata or walking for rest days and some other stuff to go at.

Can the collective mind of UKC give us some ideas of places to go to have a fun two week alpine rock trip?

We went to Garmisch-P a few years ago and really enjoyed it, and we've already been to Ailfroide, Arabba etc. Any more ideas?

Oh, and it can't be in Switzerland. Just too expensive!

It'd be great to hear any suggestions you have.
In reply to TXG:

Leftfield,try the Allgau are of Bavaria on German/Austrian border.loads of VF and loads of great cragging and walking.very accessible by plane-Munich or Memmingen-and infinitely cheaper than other alpine venues.i have just returned from a climbing job there,it was a real eye opener.
 DaCat 29 May 2014
In reply to TXG:

Haute-Alps and the Ecrins National Park.

Loads of well cared for and challenging VF's (all free except 1 which is at L'Argentière-la-Bessée. Thats only 5 Euros though and has probably the most spectacular VF in the southern French Alps.

Lots of short multi-pitch crags of low, medium and high grades. Fantastic Alpine walking because of all the fortresses here on top of the mountains.

Come here and pick wild strawberries, sweet cherries and harvest some of your own saffron from the purple crocus meadows, swim in one of the many azure blue lakes and do all that in the Mediterranean sunshine.

Lots of good camp sites round here but nobody minds if you camp in an alpine meadow and build a camp-fire

MaranaF 29 May 2014
In reply to TXG:

I will just echo what DaCat says, we are in Briancon and have everything you could need within walking distance.

If you drive in or hire a car when you get here then you could climb different rock every day and never have to drive more than 30 mins in any direction.

Plus we have great coffee!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...