UKC

Open Water / Sea Swimming - Safety / Kit / Tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 27 May 2014

I've always enjoyed swimming in rivers, lakes and particularly the sea. Not in any competitive way, more exploration and just the great feeling of being in the water. I'm getting a bit more adventurous and a recent swim in Anglesey got me thinking about a few things.

4 or 5 hundred metres off the shore I was feeling a bit invisible to some of the ribs and jet skis. I was wearing a swim cap, but I don't know how visible I was. I would probably have been conserned it it had been busy.

I would like to take my waterproof camera out with me, but I have not worked out a way of stowing it whilst I swim.

Any other tips you fancy sharing.
Post edited at 11:25
 JamButty 27 May 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
That far off shore you are really asking for trouble. Were you alone?.

Basic rules are don't swim alone, swim in areas you know are controlled to a degree and stand out like a sore thumb.
Bright hat and perhaps one of these:

http://www.mailsports.co.uk/open_water_swimming/wetsuits_accessories/produc...
I think there's also a version for carrying bits n bobs..
Post edited at 12:47
OP The New NickB 27 May 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> That far off shore you are really asking for trouble. Were you alone?.

No

> Basic rules are don't swim alone, swim in areas you know are controlled to a degree and stand out like a sore thumb.

> Bright hat and perhaps one of these:

> I think there's also a version for carrying bits n bobs..

Cheers
 TobyA 27 May 2014

> I would like to take my waterproof camera out with me, but I have not worked out a way of stowing it whilst I swim.

Were you wearing a wet suit? If so I've found I could stuff a camera into it and it was fine when swimming. Make sure its tied to you if it doesn't float!
OP The New NickB 27 May 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Yes a triathlon / swimming wetsuit, not a chance of tucking a camera away on that, properly skin tight.
 LastBoyScout 27 May 2014

I've got a waterproof case for my camera - used for swimming and surfing.

I find the strap looped over one shoulder is fine for much of the time - really needs a 3rd strap under the other arm to secure it on my back while swimming, with a mini-karabiner on the end.
 aln 27 May 2014

Could you put the camera on a leash attached to your wrist?
 Toerag 28 May 2014

Speaking as a boater, your head will look like a crabpot bobber irrespective of what colour your swimming cap is and you WILL get run down at some point if you're anywhere near a harbour, marina or regularly used route between points! Boaters are not expecting to see swimmers that far out and are not looking for them. There are many pleasure boaters who also have no idea about boating as they've not been brought up with it and don't keep a proper look out. Commercial fishermen are often commuting back to port on autopilot whilst sorting out their gear or catch so they won't see you either. See about getting a towable float with flag on it like spearfishermen use - a friend uses a cut down boogieboard if I remember rightly. Write your phone number on it so when you lose it the authorities can see if you're missing or not. Oh, make sure someone knows where you're going and when you intend to return. If you leave a pile of clothes and towel on the shore put a note in it to that effect as the public often raise the alarm for 'abandoned' swimmer's piles. If you come back onshore and aren't near your kit you should also inform the authorities.
 StefanB 28 May 2014

I consider myself a very confident swimmer, but I would not go 4-5 hundred meters into the sea on my own, not even in a small group without support in a boat. 200m out is what I consider relatively safe.

Brightly coloured swim caps help to make you easier to spot, but they still don't make you very visible, especially in choppy conditions. If there is any chance of encountering speeding motor boats, I would only go out in large very visible group and stick close together.

I have no idea how to store a camera. I already struggle to store replacement goggles.

One tip you might already have sorted out but I had to learn the hard way: Modern car keys may have a chip to deactivate the anti-theft mechanisms of your car and don't like being immersed in sea water.
 3leggeddog 28 May 2014

to go off topic a little, why are all tri/swimming wetsuits primarily black?

surfy suits are available in allsorts of colours
OP The New NickB 28 May 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> to go off topic a little, why are all tri/swimming wetsuits primarily black?

Most are.

> surfy suits are available in allsorts of colours

entirely in the water though so would make little difference.
OP The New NickB 28 May 2014
In reply to Toerag:

A cut off bodyboard with a flag seems like a good idea, I could perhaps also add something to secure camera etc.

I won't be swimming in or near busy boating areas like harbours / marinas if I can avoid it, but it only takes one boat, so I am keen to be visible.
 Dave B 28 May 2014

I swim a lot in the sea, and 400m off is a LONG way. You would probably have been swimming out to sea for about 7 minutes, or used a current to go out that far. That far out the protocol is for lifeguards to be calling for coastguard assistance in any rescue they may be doing, meaning lifeboat or chopper even if they have their own Surf rescue boat or jet ski. To be honest there is not usually any need to swim that far out, and even swimming 200m out feels very far indeed. A lot can happen in that 7 minutes getting back in. On most coasts 100-150 m will get you out the back beyond the break, but there are a few places where it won't. Either don't swim at those, or use the surf and do ins and outs. Very tiring and good workout in itself.

I usually take my rescue tube when swimming a long way at sea, or I'll have a handy board paddler with me. The tube is good, as it is high vis and if needs be I can hold onto it, or use it on someone else, yet you don't notice it when you are swimming especially.

My friends have the chill swim tow float.
https://shopdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main&OrgID=20431
Useful, but not a rescue device...

They stick their cameras and thermometers on waist belts, but I shove mine in the top of my wetsuit.... Or give it to the board paddler.

Tube... http://www.childsplaysurf.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=60...

Board... http://www.surfprodesigns.com/index.asp-Q-Page-E-rescue-boards

I had a non chip key cut for the car, that stays in there... It won't start the engine, but will get me in and out... The actual car key stays in the car.... I do have a dry bag for a phone, but don't trust it very much, as the radio ones we have at work leak as soon as you hit any surf...

Enjoy and if you do like it enough, consider doing a lifesaver or lifeguard qualification with either slsgb or rlss to bolster your confidence in dealing with situations.

Dave B 28 May 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Yes, but black it generally the main colour available. Even for surf suits. It so slimming you know...

Swim wetsuit are black as they do not have fabric on the outside.. The best quality neoprene is usually black, but the fabric attached to it can be coloured.

Dave B 28 May 2014

It does make a little bit of difference if you are horizontal when swimming , as you'll be close to the surface.. However, black make a really strong outline in the water, which smother colurs don't tend to unless they are high vis. My grey wettie is a disaster in that area, even with red shoulders.
 Toerag 02 Jun 2014

Black is actually a very easy colour to spot in the water as it acts as a silhouette. Any coarse float angler will set their float so a portion of the black stem is visible because against the sun it's this that they notice disappear. Fluoro colours are better than non-fluoro at dawn and dusk when there's a higher than average proportion of UV light to visible light.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...