UKC

Hair-free legs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 27 May 2014
Hi,

While breaking in my new road bike over the weekend, I got to thinking that even my legs are too hairy for it.

As I've got a couple of sportives coming up, I'm in the unusual position of considering de-fuzzing them.

What's the best way of going about it - pros and cons, please?
In reply to LastBoyScout:
The only real reason to shave your legs is to make it easier to massage them. Any other reason is just vanity.
Post edited at 13:51
Kirsticles 27 May 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Not true, if you crash it's easier to get the grit out of your wounds... especially if you require a scrub at A&E!!
 lost1977 27 May 2014

if you have some clippers run them over your legs first before shaving, also if you have a DE safety razor its also a lot easier
 Mike Highbury 27 May 2014
In reply to Kirsticles:

> Not true, if you crash it's easier to get the grit out of your wounds... especially if you require a scrub at A&E!!

You read that on the internet, didn't you?
In reply to Kirsticles:

Ahh, yes, forgot about that one! any other reason is still vanity
 Tall Clare 27 May 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Mr TC's just shaved his legs - I think it's a little peculiar, but hey. He agrees that it's just vanity
 Choss 27 May 2014

Its just because hairy legs sticking out Under Lycra shorts makes people want to barf...

Immac, or wax.
 IMA 27 May 2014

Vanity, but lets be honest hair sticking out of lycra looks disgusting and having trimmed leg hair would look weird.

Missus thought it was odd but says that my leg muscles are shown off when shaved/waxed.

As mentioned loads easier to clean should you crash rather than getting annoyed about blood matted hair, but how often do you crash.
Kirsticles 27 May 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Nope, I was with my brother through one horrendous crash and hospital visit.
 lost1977 27 May 2014

shaving also allows you to try some filthy new experiences like applying chamois creme with one hand whilst stroking your freshly shaved legs with the other hand.
 woolsack 27 May 2014

It's faster. End of.
 Static 27 May 2014

I have never heard a single good reason why its done. Including all the ones listed above.

It is fashion. End of.
 woolsack 27 May 2014
In reply to Static:
It's a very old fashion then. Must have been fashionable for getting on for more than 60 years. That surely becomes a tradition doesn't it?
Post edited at 15:11
 Static 27 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Good point. But who is to say that you have to follow tradition?
 mbh 27 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

Sure, and you can think it makes you go faster if you want, but looking from the outside in, it looks like just another part of the uniform.
 blackcat 27 May 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout: If you have well defined legs wax em,if you have skinny turnip thighs hide them under a pair of cycling tights.Most modern woman dont like hairy legs

Tall Clare 27 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

Most modern women don't like hairy legs - out of interest, where did you get that theory from?
 tlm 27 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

> Most modern woman dont like hairy legs

Most marketing people selling defuzzing products want you to think that. Most women don't care.

kevin stephens 27 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

I've heard some lonely cyclists shave on leg first. It makes them feel like they're sleeping with a woman until they get round to shaving the other one
 Static 27 May 2014

The funniest idea of the lot is that the presence or absence of leg hair makes a difference to cleaning up a laceration in A&E.

Getting grit out of hairless legs is still going to hurt and the bored nurse doing the work won't give a monkeys whether or not the legs are freshly shaved.

Enty 27 May 2014
In reply to Static:

> I have never heard a single good reason why its done. Including all the ones listed above.

> It is fashion. End of.

Rubbish. If you have a massage regularly it's just good manners.

When I slid down the bank at Manchester velodrome and skinned my right leg I was soooooo glad I'd shaved.

Oh and it looks good too.Nothing wrong with vanity.

E

Enty 27 May 2014
In reply to Static:

You need to stop a d think. Last time I was on the velodrome it was wood not gravel.

E

woolsack 27 May 2014
In reply to mbh:

I'm not interested in what you think from the outside in. I'm past that age of giving a shit what other people think thankfully
 mbh 27 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

If you don't care what people think, why engage in discussion? Are you on a soapbox?
 kathrync 27 May 2014

I had always been told that it's because if you have hair sticking out through your lycra and your shorts/tights are moving against your skin as you pedal, it can cause lots of irritation by tugging on the hair constantly.

I don't know how true that is because I shave my legs anyway

It also doesn't explain why men shave their lower legs in the summer when they are wearing shorts.
 woolsack 27 May 2014
In reply to mbh:

> If you don't care what people think, why engage in discussion? Are you on a soapbox?

We're in a discussion about the merits of hair free legs in cycling. You assert there is no merit and that it's all a fashion thing. Keep up at the back!
 mbh 27 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

So maybe it is?

As a PhD physicist, it strikes me that that is extremely likely, except possibly for the very best, on the lightest bikes, carrying the least weight, over the shortest distances. But, hey, I haven't done the sums. Have you?
 Rory Shaw 27 May 2014

The question I have is where do you stop?
 blackcat 27 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare: My nephew was in a male stripper group,always sold out.And from the feedback he recieved young ladies would prefer waxed toned bodies if they had the choice:0

Tall Clare 27 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

That's an unusual - and rather small - research sample...
 Alun 27 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Oh and it looks good too.Nothing wrong with vanity.

There is nothing wrong with vanity. If you think you look fast. You feel fast. And if you feel fast, you go faster.

But there is a very good reason not to shave your legs.

If you go hairy, then most non-hairy riders instantly assume (rightly or wrongly) that you are not 'serious'. This means that you have an opportunity, nay, an OBLIGATION, to dole out pain, misery and suffering upon them, to make them change their too-hastily formed opinion. This, in turn, makes you ride harder. Which is A Good Thing.

And of course, if you are incapable of doling out pain, misery and suffering on your fellow riders, then it's okay - you've got hairy legs, you obviously don't take this biking lark too seriously! :P
 blackcat 27 May 2014
In reply to Rory Shaw: Somewhere close to the groinage i believe

woolsack 27 May 2014
In reply to mbh:

> So maybe it is?

> As a PhD physicist, it strikes me that that is extremely likely, except possibly for the very best, on the lightest bikes, carrying the least weight, over the shortest distances. But, hey, I haven't done the sums. Have you?

Marginal gains....Speaking as a cyclist of course without a PhD
 mbh 27 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I cycle too, and there is nothing wrong with fashion, or doing something to identify you as one of a tribe, if it makes you feel good, especially if that makes you want to try harder for longer and so, probably, go faster. I just reckon that it is best to recognize things for what they are, and bet that, for almost all cyclists, the marginal gains that shaving your legs might provide would be eclipsed by the bigger gains provided by doing more training or losing some weight.

woolsack 27 May 2014
In reply to mbh:

I do a lot of time trials and will grab anything that might save a few watts and if growing your leg hair and perming it into an aerofoil shape would save 5w over a 25 mile TT I'd give it a go!
 mbh 27 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I don't do any 25 m TTs. I bet they are hard, hard work. All the best with them.
OP LastBoyScout 27 May 2014
In reply to all:
Specificity, Scout - I meant pros and cons of specific methods of de-fuzzing one's legs, not pros and cons of actually doing it, e.g. wax -v- shaving.

I knew all the other stuff, but good to have a reminder

Last time I rode the Etape, there were lots of chaps buying Veet in the supermarket the day before!
Post edited at 17:14
In reply to Rory Shaw:

> The question I have is where do you stop?

A very good question - and I'm still awaiting the answer...
 Tall Clare 27 May 2014

As a leg-shaver, I'd say just shave - Veet contains some pretty nasty chemicals, and waxing hurts like a hurty thing.
 Tall Clare 27 May 2014

When you find yourself shaving off your eyebrows you'll know you've gone too far...
andymac 27 May 2014

I shaved the lot off.

Only stopped when I reached my armpits

In reply to Tall Clare:

> When you find yourself shaving off your eyebrows you'll know you've gone too far...

Wise words indeed.
 climbingpixie 27 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Oh and it looks good too.Nothing wrong with vanity.

It might look good if your legs are tanned from cycling in the French sunshine! On a typical pasty Brit it can be reminiscent of a plucked chicken drumstick.

My chap shaved his once, a couple of years ago. It was grim to look at and to sleep next to. Thankfully he's not done it since!
 nniff 27 May 2014

In terms of marginal gains, it has been observed that one would be better off taping one's ears flat against the head.

The opinion of SWMBO means that leg shaving is not going to happen around here, besides which it would probably compel me to bust a gut every time I go near Britain's most popular Strava segment, which happens to be just around the corner from here.
 Kimono 27 May 2014

Dear fellow english men:
As has been stated above by several people, shaving your legs is not necessarily an attractive thing to the members of the fairer sex.

You need to have good pins to start with! If you haven't, at least work on the tan.

And if you can get the hairs to bleach in the sun then legs can look good without shaving even….mine are pretty tasty I've been told
 Enty 27 May 2014

"Fantastic, hairy legs" said no masseur ever.........

E
 Enty 27 May 2014
In reply to climbingpixie:

That's where the factor zero Ambre Solaire comes in handy.....

E
 Pocoyo 27 May 2014

Can only comment on shaving.

After removing most of hair with clippers nice warm bath is in order, use a womens razor they are designed for the job and clean much easier. Lather up with soap/shaving cream probably better none scented if you can.

The Shave.

Anything below and including knee should be against the grain, go gently and pay attention to back of ankle, knee cap and behind knee these are easily cut,

Thighs should be shaved with the hair growth, but pay attention for the hair changing direction, for me this is underneath at hamstrings if you go against the grain on your thighs it may cause shaving rash and will rub like a bitch in your regular clothes as for how far up you go is up to you, but if your crashing outer thighs to hips want doing, although you can use the clippers to trim hair shorter so you don't look like your wearing hairy shorts.

Afterwards.

Towel off and moisturise this will help stop ingrowing hairs as will exfoiliating, you will probably have to shave every couple of days which can be a pain but it becomes quick and part of a routine in no time at all.

On the bike enjoy the cool feeling, no bugs clinging to your legs and in the rain you dry faster, do put sunscreen on though as you will burn more readily the upside is you will only use a fraction of what you would have had to apply to hairy pins.

Hope this helps..
 AllanMac 27 May 2014
In reply to woolsack:
"It's faster. End of"

If I shaved one leg, would that mean I'd cycle around in a big circle?
Post edited at 23:43
 Timmd 28 May 2014
In reply to Alun:

> If you go hairy, then most non-hairy riders instantly assume (rightly or wrongly) that you are not 'serious'. This means that you have an opportunity, nay, an OBLIGATION, to dole out pain, misery and suffering upon them, to make them change their too-hastily formed opinion. This, in turn, makes you ride harder. Which is A Good Thing.

> And of course, if you are incapable of doling out pain, misery and suffering on your fellow riders, then it's okay - you've got hairy legs, you obviously don't take this biking lark too seriously! :P

Like. ()
Removed User 28 May 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> - Veet contains some pretty nasty chemicals,

Oh mais oui.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK
 Hyphin 28 May 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Why? Do they like sleeping with women with hairy legs?
In reply to Removed User:

> Oh mais oui.

Are you referring to the fantastic (5 star) review:

Lets see what the filters make of this:

"By AndrewThis review is from: Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200 ml (Personal Care)
Being a loose cannon who does not play by the rules the first thing I did was ignore the warning and smear this all over my knob and bollocks. The bollocks I knew and loved are gone now. In their place is a maroon coloured bag of agony which sends stabs of pain up my body every time it grazes against my thigh or an article of clothing. I am suffering so that you don't have to. Heed my lesson. DO NOT PUT ON KNOB AND BOLLOCKS.

(I am giving this product a 5 because despite the fact that I think my bollocks might fall off, they are now completely hairless.)
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No"
Removed User 28 May 2014
In reply to mountain.martin:
The one by A Chappell further down is the funniest. I was helpless by the time I'd got to the end.
Post edited at 00:21
In reply to Removed User:

fantastic, I thought the one I quoted was funny, but that had me crying.
Flatus Vetus 28 May 2014

And do you 'men' who shave your legs also shave your vagina?
 Pinch'a'salt 28 May 2014
In reply to Alun:

> If you go hairy, then most non-hairy riders instantly assume (rightly or wrongly) that you are not 'serious'. This means that you have an opportunity, nay, an OBLIGATION, to dole out pain, misery and suffering upon them, to make them change their too-hastily formed opinion.

Yep, a (now sadly departed) mate of mine used to take great pleisure in doing that, not just with hairy legs, but baggy shorts and t-shirt and a pretty basic bike too... In fact I still have a vivid picture in my mind of him cruising up the Glandon chatting away merrily to a smooth-legged 'serious' rider who was blowing out of his @rse on a very expensive bike (that he had been raving about to us at length when we chanced to stop in at the same café earlier).

Enty 28 May 2014
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

Happened to me on The Ventoux yesterday. A hary legged, baggy shorted, Dutch mountain biker caught me up and started half wheeling me.
The outcome was rather different than your scenario.

E
OP LastBoyScout 28 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

You can't have "Dutch" and "mountain biker" in the same sentence, surely?
 woolsack 28 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

He'd probably driven up to Chalet Reynard
 Enty 28 May 2014

Strong buggers them Cloggys. Everywhere they ride is a headwind and more winners on Alpe d'Huez than any other nation (I think)

E
 IMA 28 May 2014

Quick reply about hair and aero - I read a recent article that suggested the most effective thing to do is leave a thin mohawk of leg hair on the back of the leg, I think it was to the outside rather than center.

The best way I have found is go visit the beauty salon and get them waxed. Probably worth making sure that no one you know or wife knows works their too (unless you get mates rates)

Less faff, bigger time game between stubble.

Shaving is easy enough but I just find it time consuming and their is the risk you may miss a few, imagine someone pointing that out!
OP LastBoyScout 03 Jun 2014
In reply to :

In the end, I just ran my beard trimmers over them - short enough that they look clean, long enough that they're not prickly and no shaving nicks.

Made it much easier to put sun tan lotion on them, certainly.
 FrankBooth 03 Jun 2014

Each to their own, but I kind of think that shaving legs, wearing team kit (especially Sky!), or riding an Italian racing machine means you'd better have the performance to match, or risk ridicule

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...