UKC

Future boredom cure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've just had the cartilage in my knee repaired and it looks like I will be out of action for a fair while. My leg is in a splint for the next two weeks but I can keep myself occupied for now I think. The bigger problem is going to be this summer. It's my first year of teaching and I was all ready to have a kick ass summer in the alps. Now that doesn't look so likely...

I need something to look forward to this summer, something that I can look forward to and will keep me occupied. Whatever it is, it's got some big shoes to fill now that climbing is out of the question. So far I have been thinking of learning drums (I play guitar and keyboard already), maybe getting into DSLR videography, or buying an Xbox and getting really fat.

Any other ideas?

David
 Timmd 27 May 2014
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Swimming?
In reply to Timmd:

I will certainly go swimming as part of rehab and for fitness but I don't find it particularly engrossing otherwise. Also I normally get bored after a hour so it probably wouldn't fill the time very well.

David
 kathrync 27 May 2014

Is there any other sport (that is easy on the knees, obviously) that you fancy but have never tried? Might be a good time to book a beginners course and give it a go.

Kayaking was what sprang to my mind, but that depends on whether your knee is sore if you put pressure on it (you use your knees to control how far you edge the boat). Sailing might be another option, or I am sure there are other ideas you could come up with.
 groovejunkie 27 May 2014

It's gotta be the xbox option, drop about six grades and then come and join the knackered knee club and climb vdiffs with me! Obviously this won't help you at all, but it will make me feel better! Only joking (I meant diffs really), Just take it easy and you'll be back in action quicker than you think (and kicking our asses).

See you at the crag soon (or the pub). Mark

Alcoholism is always an option?
 Blue Straggler 28 May 2014

Freediving?
 birdie num num 28 May 2014

Hopping?

Arse kicking contests?
Goose stepping. Great workout.
 felt 28 May 2014

Getting better at playing piano. Can you sightread Scriabin's Etude Op 42 No 5? That'll keep you occupied if you can't.
 James90 28 May 2014

Could always resort to the time tested classic:

Watching videos of cats on youtube

tlm 28 May 2014

You will still have your upper body, so why not think of physical things that you can do with that? Weights, darts, wheelchair basketball, gardening...

Then how about creative mental activities? Learn a language, write a novel, learn to sing, build a matchstick model, sew some custom made climbing kit, cook something amazing...

And don't forget social activities - going to the pub with mates, having a film evening, inviting people around for dinner, writing letters to people, phoning people for a chat, visiting people for the weekend...

and then there are all those jobs that you have been putting off forever, the decorating, fixing stuff, tidying out cupboards, things that will leave you feeling that you have achieved something useful.
 Clarence 28 May 2014

My first summer as a qualified teacher was spent planning lessons and getting stuff ready for the next school year. You may not have as much time to kill as you think.
 Flinticus 28 May 2014

Campusing? Work on your finger & arm strength. Get a beastmaker for your house.

When I broke my ankle, that's what I did (until I strained a finger and had to stop that as well!)

Cinema? Catch up on box sets and work your way through all the micro-breweries' offerings.

Cooking (just a suggestion - wouldn't work for me)?

All good suggestions. My hopping abilities are already coming along quite nicely and have brought about a significant increase in my right leg muscle mass, which would also be good for arse kicking contests I would imagine.

I already enjoy cooking and quite like the idea of learning more about it so I can know rather than guess what to do...

In terms of other sports, I used to sail but the squatting to get under the boom wouldn't do much good I don't think. I'll keep up with the finger boarding but it's hard to stay motivated with no climbing trips in the foreseeable future!

David
 coolhand 28 May 2014
I'd recommend prolific masturbation
 Scarab9 28 May 2014
In reply to felt:

> Getting better at playing piano. Can you sightread Scriabin's Etude Op 42 No 5? That'll keep you occupied if you can't.

not for long. surely once you've tried it a couple of times you're no longer sightreading?
 felt 28 May 2014
In reply to Scarab9:

Ah.
 Ramblin dave 28 May 2014
In reply to Scarab9:

> not for long. surely once you've tried it a couple of times you're no longer sightreading?

But if you restart from the beginning every time you can still get the ground-up.
 kathrync 28 May 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> But if you restart from the beginning every time you can still get the ground-up.

One of those moments when a "like" button would be appropriate
 robal 28 May 2014
In reply to coolhand:

> I'd recommend prolific masturbation

I superset that with weeping uncontrollably....
 Scarab9 28 May 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

good call sir!
 Shani 28 May 2014
In reply to Scarab9:
> (In reply to felt)
>
> [...]
>
> not for long. surely once you've tried it a couple of times you're no longer sightreading?

If he follows the advicre of 'prolific masturbation above' sightreading may become increasingly problematic.
In reply to Shani:

Very good!

David
Removed User 28 May 2014

Lots on here to keep you amused.
http://www.beastskills.com/
I'd also recommend yoga and meditation, it will stop you going bammy with frustration.
 Shani 29 May 2014

> Very good!

> David

If you want a more cerebral objective, try the Rubik's Cube or learn how to remember a pack of shuffled cards. Both are rather satisfying.
 blackcat 31 May 2014
In reply to David Kirsfelds: Internet forums.

Sure there is plenty of hut paperwork you can help with, or dusting to do at ByN, see Rob.

Or you can come on meets and shout motivational slogans like Rainier Wolfcastle!
 Trangia 01 Jun 2014

Archery? Rifle shooting? Clay pigeon shooting?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...