UKC

Is there a marine biologist in the house?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy2 28 May 2014
I reckon there’s been a noticeable increase in the amount of seaweed growing on the rocks between HWM and LWM this spring. This is in west Cornwall, both granite and the other rocks. I don’t know what sort of seaweed it is, it’s green and forms small clumps with leaves (?) maybe 5cm long.

I wonder what’s caused it (winter storms? Global warming?) and whether it will go away of its own accord. It’s a real pain trying to remove even small amounts from crucial holds. What eats seaweed?

Wild speculation or expert opinion welcome.
 toad 28 May 2014
In reply to Andy2:

entirely a guess, but eutrophication sounds like a possible candidate, although that's more a problem with algal blooms than higher plants.
 gd303uk 28 May 2014
In reply to toad:
You could be right increased nitrogen runoff from the land ( farms) due to precipitation ( it has been a wet winter) can cause algae to grow more prolific, eutrophication is the correct term. seaweed is algae .
Is the seaweed light green almost transparent?
Post edited at 13:27
 toad 28 May 2014
In reply to gd303uk:
seaweed is algae .

Of course it is. That's what you get for being an ecologist that gets seasick on a narrowboat
OP Andy2 28 May 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Is the seaweed light green almost transparent?

Yes, you could describe it like that. Slippery is the best word, though.

No solutions yet for getting rid of it?
 gd303uk 28 May 2014
In reply to Andy2:

It could be Ulva lactuca, if it is? it is edible . Tastes sweet if I remember .
http://www.eattheweeds.com/ulva-sea-soup-salad-2/
http://www.seaweed.ie/algae/ulva.php
 gd303uk 28 May 2014
In reply to toad:

Hehe,
I studied ecology / biology also, I was a terrible student , spent more time climbing and recovering from nights/weekends out than anything else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...