UKC

Will inflatable mats totally replace CCF mats?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iwan 28 May 2014
Will Thermarest type mats totally replace closed cell foam mats or will CCF mats be around forever? do you have any tales of woe caused by burst mats?
 gdnknf 28 May 2014
In reply to Iwan:

While Thermarests are more compact when packed, weight for weight they aren't as warm as CCF; they aren't as durable as CCF; currently they aren't as cheap as CCF; they don't offer any benefit to campers in hammocks; they cannot be customised (the scissor variety of customisation) as easily; they don't offer as many multipurpose benefits as the CCF pad and once they're knackered, they aren't useful for lining the dog bed or for kneeling on when down the garden etc..

For now, I would say CCF is pretty safe.
 FreshSlate 28 May 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Give me a close cell foam mat lighter and with a higher r value that a thermarest x therm.
 FreshSlate 28 May 2014

P.s not being a knob I just can't think of one.
In reply to gdnknf:

Why can't you use an inflatable in a hammock? I'm starting to think about hammocking in North America so genuinely curious.
 ScraggyGoat 28 May 2014
Far more interesting, what have people done with a bit of old karrimatt, for starters;

Replaced rucksack internal frame - now dual purpose frame and bivvy matt.
Made Nalgene cosy
Used to stop cycles scratching each other in transport
Punt jousting.....

No doubt a few MRT members will actually have insulated a leaking caz from cold ground, shielding them from the wind with another, while the team plumber got to work. Or heaven forbid a UKCer bivied on a pile of rock sharp choss with one, but for this little game using it as intended doesn't count!
 gdnknf 29 May 2014
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:
> Why can't you use an inflatable in a hammock? I'm starting to think about hammocking in North America so genuinely curious.

I guess there is no reason why you can't. Generally though, when sleeping the hammock wraps around the shoulders and a mat underneath doesn't keep that area warm. A way to solve this is with using a shortened or cut down ccf mat to insulate those areas. Other products work too but that's a cheap and simple way. Inflatables just aren't so versatile.
Post edited at 00:22
 gdnknf 29 May 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
> Give me a close cell foam mat lighter and with a higher r value that a thermarest x therm.

It's a good point. I wasn't familiar with the mat you mentioned so I googled it. Other than the obscene price tag, it looks good on paper and at 450g very light for its r value. To get an R value of 5 with ccf mats you would probably be needing two of them. When trimmed to body size and shape (like the x therm) it's probably about 100g heavier so you win that round. Well played sir (ma'am?).

However £140 for the x therm or £20 for two ccf mats...

Disclaimer: I own two inflating mats and two ccf mats. I like them all. There are definitely benefits and drawbacks for both.
Post edited at 00:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...