UKC

Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 29 May 2014
Hi

So I am off to the dolomites at in about 3 weeks and still see a fair amount of snow on the peaks . Is it likely to melt off ?

Removed User 29 May 2014
In reply to kingjam:

We had problems with snow in mid June 10 years ago. I don't know how snowy it has been this year, but it is possible or likely that there will still be lots of snow in north-facing hollows. Make plans for south-facing routes and descents and you should still have plently to go at.
OP kingjam 29 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I had the same problem last year as well , oh well
 Null 29 May 2014
In reply to kingjam:
The snowfall in the Dolomites was about three times average last winter. I was in the Piccole Dolomiti last weekend, which are much lower in altitude than the real Dolomites, and to descend we had to negotiate huge amounts of snow, crawling in tunnels underneath in some places.

So the answer is "yes, plenty of snow".
Post edited at 15:30
 Mike-W-99 29 May 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

Last year they were still digging out the higher ferratas in July.
OP kingjam 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Erstwhile:

So we are heading off on the 17th June and the routes we have in mind are

-SW corner on cima del lago
-South arete on the Tofana di rozes
-Fiames arete on the punta fiames

Could you advise if you would expect the approaches, ascents and descents to be affected by current snow packs at this tiime of year .

Also is it likely that rif. Scotoni and Dibona to be open this time of year ?

Many thanks for your help
 Chris Sansum 03 Jun 2014
In reply to kingjam:
We did 2 out of 3 of these routes in July last year, and a route next to the one you want to do on Tofana.

Pillar Rib (south face buttress 2) on Tofana had considerable snow on the descent in places - we had to cross at least 2 snowy gullies, and kick steps with our trainers down a steep snow slope on the way down - and that was on July 17th!

SW corner of Cima del Lago was clear of snow (although damp on the day we did it!).

I don't recall there being any snow on the top after doing the Fiames Arete.

Not the same month - but you'll probably be interested to hear there was still substantial snow on Tofana in Mid July!
Post edited at 13:18
 Gael Force 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris Sansum:

I would agree with the above and had problems descending off Tofana in trainers due to snow in July after a winter of poor snow...
 Brass Nipples 03 Jun 2014
In reply to kingjam:

For the Refugio's just check their websites for opening dates.

victorclimber 03 Jun 2014
In reply to kingjam:

we had snow falling on the Scarf Arete in July
OP kingjam 04 Jun 2014
In reply to kingjam:

All

Thanks for the replies think we will drop the -South arete on the Tofana di rozes and stick with the lower altitude climbs .

Thanks
OP kingjam 04 Jun 2014
In reply to kingjam:

Out of interest anyone know a decent cheap place to sleep in or around cortina ?
 Chris Sansum 04 Jun 2014
In reply to kingjam:
The woods?

Guess you might be after something a bit more luxurious than that though!

We just discreetly camped for our whole trip. The only place we struggled to find a spot for a tent was below the Fiames Arete - the slopes were steep and the only place to pitch a tent was directly on the footpath - with rocks instead of pegs!

But I can thoroughly recommend wild camping when possible - you don't get woken up by drunk folk coming back from the pub, you get into the habit of getting up at the crack of dawn, you can normally make sure you are very close to the route, and you save a lot of money.

Getting on the routes early was really beneficial on our trip as we always avoided the afternoon thunderstorms and crowds on the routes.

Not for everyone though, and you have to be discrete...
Post edited at 13:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...