UKC

cleaning a down sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ashaw 29 May 2014
Hi anyone any idea the best way of cleaning a down sleeping bag, I don't mind getting it dry cleaned, but can you wash them and prevent the clumping
cheers allan
 alasdair19 30 May 2014
In reply to ashaw:

Franklins in Sheffield do a very good job significantly less down degradation than a dry cleaners but expensive.

lone 30 May 2014
In reply to ashaw:

I've washed mine many times in my own washing machine. The key to the clumping is in the tumble drying.

I use a cooler setting and every 10 mins take it out of the tumber and give the bag a shake. Better to shake the bag by starting at one end and just shake every 10 inches of the bag and work your way through the bag then put it back into the tumber.

Its hard to tell if the down has dried fully so your have to feel for clumps of damp down, just keep tumbling and shaking.

You can use tennis balls in the tumbler which help a lot to break up the clumps.

I finish off with a wamer setting to be sure i've dried out the down fully.

I've had the bag for years and its always been ok doing it this way.

Jason
 marsbar 31 May 2014
In reply to lone:

I use the tumble dryer balls. Only tried jackets but I can't see why a bag would be different as long as you have a normal sized dryer and not one of the tiny washer dryers.
 angry pirate 31 May 2014
In reply to ashaw:
+1 on Franklins. My bag had a hole in the bag that I'd stitched. Had to check for it to prove to myself they hadn't sent me a new one!
Awesome service and the difference it made to the bag's warmth was incredible.
 deepsoup 31 May 2014
In reply to angry pirate:
Are Franklins still trading? I thought they'd shut up shop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...