UKC

4/5 season 2P lightweight tent HELP?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bendep 29 May 2014

Hi guys,

In Feb next year a friend and I are going trekking for 6 months in Nepal, and need to get a tent. I was hoping you omniscient folk could help us.
We will be basecamping a few mountains (e.g. Kanchenjunga, Makalu, Sherpani col, etc.) so will need something fairly bomber for that time of year (Feb-June-ish), but also something fairly light as we will be carrying most of our gear.
Any recommendations? I know its hard to find both light and strong, but budget isn't too much of an issue, and the tech out there today is astonishing.

The tents i've seen so far that might fit the bill are:
Easton Mountain Products Hat trick 2P (although apparently not a true 4 season tent)
TN voyager XL
Lightwave g20 mtn
MRS fury
Edit: the TN SL Quasar is also on the list

All and every though appreciated,

Thanks a lot,

Ben
Post edited at 11:51
In reply to bendep: A word of warning about high altitude use.

Seven weeks pitched at 4000m-5000m was enough to trash the fly on my Ultra Quasar from UV damage. I didn't have a problem on the expedition but shortly afterward I ended up with a shredded flysheet and 3 broken poles in a blizzard in the Cairngorms. Admittedly that was more than a decade ago but UV damage is certainly something to bear in mind.

As such I would absolutely NOT go for a Quasar Superlight for 6 months of high altitude use.

I'd also be a bit wary of other designs with very lightweight flysheet materials.
 Timmd 29 May 2014
In reply to bendep:
Taking your tent down during the day could be an option to help protect it from UV damage. A bit annoying, but beneficial.
Post edited at 13:11
 TobyA 29 May 2014
In reply to bendep:

> Any recommendations? I know its hard to find both light and strong, but budget isn't too much of an issue,

For low weight and high strength, if you can afford one, probably a Hilleberg?
OP bendep 29 May 2014
In reply to bendep:

At the moment, my best bet looks like the Crux X2 Storm? I agree with not going with the super light, as that does sound like it wouldnt take a beating for 5/6 months non-stop. I will, however, be moving camp/trekking almost every day (apart from acclimatisation days) so it won't be left up for this entire trip.
Thanks so far for the responses guys.
OP bendep 29 May 2014
In reply to bendep:

Anyone have experience of the Crux X2 Storm vs the X2 Bomb?

They seem to get rave reviews...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...