UKC

Will a trainer break my carbon frame?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StefanB 29 May 2014
As in the title really: Will having a carbon frame deteriorate much faster, if I use it on a trainer? My training partner seems to think this would make my frame fall apart in no time.
 Oujmik 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Doubt it. Most trainers grip the bike by the rear axle so there's no direct contact. The stresses on the bike will be a little different from normal riding (as the rear wheel is held rigidly causing the frame to flex more under forceful pedaling) but I wouldn't have thought it would be significantly worse than normal riding.

The only frames I've ever known to break under normal use were alu (they broke at the welds).
 r0b 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

No. It will be fine.
 Marek 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

I take it you've seen the thread on BikeRadar about Cannondale warranties and turbos?
Removed User 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Am I in a minority of one in that I have no worries whatsoever about the integrity of my carbon frame relative to what I might be concerned about with an aluminium/steel/titanium frame?

I'm not saying I'm right, but I can't help but think that all this received wisdom about carbon being especially delicate is something of a myth.
 LastBoyScout 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

I've heard that trainers can cause carbon frames to deteriorate due to the vibrations they produce in the materials causing the epoxy/fibres to break down - something to do with the sustained exposure to particular frequencies.

All of which sounds plausible, but compare that to several hundred miles on the roads around here and the vibration the frame takes from the road surface and there's probably not much difference, although I'm sure the wheels absorb a lot of the stresses that would be passed direct to the frame when clamped in a trainer. Or something.

Would I risk it with my carbon frames? No - I'd stick my old steel hack in instead, as I don't care a bit about braking that frame.
OP StefanB 29 May 2014
In reply to Marek:

No, I haven't but will have a look.

I invested in a road bike a while ago, and following advice on here went straight for a more expensive option. I now find that I don't have the option to just stick a cheap beginner's bike that I don't use anymore on the trainer
My cycling friend seems to think I am mad sticking a carbon frame bike on the trainer and I just want to make sure I am not ruining my investment.
 Enty 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

No one I know will go anywhere near a turbo with their best bikes.

E
 Enty 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

You'd be better off on rollers - but then again you could easily smash the bike up when you come off it and fly through the patio doors

E
 Marek 29 May 2014
In reply to StefanB:

OK, I understand - in principle at least - why you'd have a trainer in the UK (the weather), but in Spain??! Why not just go for a ride outside? There's a 99% chance it's warm and sunny! Or am I just jealous?
 Enty 29 May 2014
In reply to Marek:

Well I'm in the South of France and I haven't been on a home trainer for 15 years.

E
 Marek 29 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Well I'm in the South of France and I haven't been on a home trainer for 15 years.

> E

OK, OK. Anyone else want to point out that they live somewhere sunny? Go on, tell me you miss the drizzle and overcast skies.
OP StefanB 29 May 2014
In reply to Marek:

> OK, I understand - in principle at least - why you'd have a trainer in the UK (the weather), but in Spain??! Why not just go for a ride outside? There's a 99% chance it's warm and sunny! Or am I just jealous?

Unfortunately, Spain is also the land of insane traffic and to get a good workout I have to put a few very slow miles in just to get out of the city. The trainer is meant to help me get some quick and efficient mid-week sessions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...