UKC

Another roadie question - specific sessions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Atkinson 29 May 2014
Everyone's being so helpful I thought I would push my luck with yet another newbie cycling question...

I'm really getting in to the cycling (originally as a running replacement due to injury) and am enjoying starting to gradually make the runs longer and hillier. I don't see me having any racing ambitions of any sort but can get very inspired by "personal challenge" kind of things like the Fred Whitton etc as things to aim for in the future. I'm in S manchester so my territory will be the Peak / Cheshire and visits to the Lakes.

The question is at what stage, if any, it is worth someone like me doing specific "quality" sessions like hill reps? Will a moderate amount of it enhance the rest of the cycling by making more, bigger, steeper hills accessible or do you really need to do lots to make much difference on big days out?

What sort of hill rep / other sessions would you do from my starting point?

Ta P
 Alun 29 May 2014
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

> The question is at what stage, if any, it is worth someone like me doing specific "quality" sessions like hill reps?

My reply would be
"at the stage when you feel like doing it".

Will more structured training get you fitter than "just doing for a ride"? Almost certainly.

But the key question is: will you enjoy/get more satisfaction out of doing structured training than "just going for a ride"?

On my bike I almost never do structured training, but I ride over 100km regularly, over some big Spanish hills, and usually at an average of over 25kmh. I'm quite happy with that, but to a more serious cyclist such numbers are peanuts.

I am also inspired by personal challenges, but the only time I ever 'structured' my cycling was when I was training for a triathlon, and frankly I bored myself to tears, and afterwards reckoned that I probably needn't have bothered. Right now I'm training for a couple of sportives this summer, and that training involves riding as much as I possibly can, over the biggest hills I can find, and as fast as I possibly can. And I'm really enjoying myself!

It sounds a bit twee, but motivation is the most important factor. So by all means start doing some 'sessions', but if you don't find yourself enjoying them, then stop!
 jethro kiernan 29 May 2014
I was getting quite a bit of unstructured mileage through the winter and early spring and was going to think about upping the pace, as it happened I met up with a mate out with a small chain gang whilst out for a spin so I tagged on did a spell at the front but then got dropped after 15k, it was the kick up the arse I needed. I guess what I am trying to say is at some point you have to convert the miles put in into faster miles by increasing the pace, either by a chain gang, going out with someone with the intention of a fast paced ride or aim for some strava segments. Or just some plain old intervals, it take surprisingly little if you already have the miles under your belt to gain a few extra kph to your times. That's not to say every ride becomes a quest for speed you just have to make the legs hurt a bit each week :-/
 steev 29 May 2014

As Alun says, motivation is really important if you're thinking of training harder. A few interval sessions here & there probably won't make a massive difference but some kind of structured programme (doesn't have to be too serious) can make a massive difference. In my experience, sticking to some kind of structure is much easier of you have a clear goal in mind. My advice would be to pick a challenge that's a bit out of your comfort zone then find a plan to train for it. That way you get the fitness gains and a sense of achievement.

Joining a club is another good way to improve your riding.
 woolsack 29 May 2014

Although you don't have any specific racing ambitions you surely cannot find a better personal challenge than getting involved with Club time trials. Just you and the clock. Best possible measure of how your speed and fitness is developing. Very addictive.
OP Paul Atkinson 30 May 2014

Thanks all. I think the pattern Alun describe is good for now and pretty much what I'm already doing. As I get out more I might throw in some "fartlek" type stuff, hammering hills etc, on shorter runs and leave serious structure until I've got a couple of thousand miles behind me

cheers, P
 Enty 30 May 2014

I haven't done any really well structured intervals for years but I do alot of Fartlek stuff in the winter.

I'd also say join a club. Riding with faster people than you makes you faster.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...