UKC

Lakeland/Northumberland Offwidths

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petegunn 29 May 2014
I am trying to put a bit of a list together of some of the offwidths in and around the lakes.
Anyone know of any that i can add.
They can be part of a climb or pitch like Post Mortem or boulder problems like Cowboy up near Rothbury
Cheers
 Dervey 29 May 2014
In reply to petegunn:

Does overhanging crack at Bowden count as offwidth?
OP petegunn 29 May 2014
In reply to Dervey:

It is very good but not quite an offwidth. I was thinking along lines of Desperation and Gigglin Crack down in Yorkshire.
 Simon Caldwell 29 May 2014
 Dervey 29 May 2014
In reply to petegunn:

There are a couple of wider corner cracks at Bowden at about HVS E1, not sure if they're properly offwidth and don't know the names off the top of my head. Might be worth a look in the NMC guide
 deepsoup 29 May 2014
In reply to Dervey:

> There are a couple of wider corner cracks at Bowden at about HVS E1, not sure if they're properly offwidth and don't know the names off the top of my head. Might be worth a look in the NMC guide

Definitely worth a look in the NMC guide.

(And have a quick look at my profile pic.
 chris m fisher 29 May 2014
In reply to petegunn:

The Vikings and Sacrificial Crack up on the Napes both have offwidth bits in them.

Bouldering wise, Left Crack and Tim's Crack at St. Bees both resemble offwidths, though you don't really climb either in an offwidth style!
In reply to petegunn:

Waller's Crack on Harrison's Stickle.
Sheol on Pillar Rock.
Westmorland Crack on Westmorland Crags.
 Andy Hardy 30 May 2014
In reply to petegunn:
That horror show at Ravensheugh? Baluster Crack?
Post edited at 09:28
 BenTiffin 30 May 2014
In reply to petegunn:
Just outside the Lakes but Aladdinsane at Trowbarrow in north Lancs.
 SteveSBlake 30 May 2014
In reply to petegunn:

Pete,

In the County there are few cracks that are really 'offwidth' in that the use of offwidth technique is a prerequisite for success. Cowboy Up is a flared crack (and that's the easy bit). The relatively short length of many of our cracks lends them to a 'shit or bust' sprint approach that avoids the slow torture of off width technique.

Most can be climbed by using a combination of face climbing around the edges (or inside), laybacking or laying off.

That said, wider cracks include; Green Crack, Hanging Crack, and Slab Crack at Bowden, The majority of the cracks at Ravensheugh. Long Layback at Simonside can provide a worthy tussle if you choose to jam it (as of course would OH Crack at Bowden were you to climb the crack at the top!)

I can only think of one unclimbed feature in the County that would demand the sort of sustained, inverted 'Wyde' techniques seen employed in the US...............

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...