UKC

Camera for birthday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wendy Watthews 29 May 2014
Hi,

I'm thinking of asking for a camera for my birthday, nothing fancy just a compact to take climbing and to the beach etc. it should be something reasonably sturdy. I was thinking of the Nikon Coolpix S32 it can come in a rather fetching yellow, but apparently its picture quality isn't the best. Are there any other suggestions?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
 sbc_10 29 May 2014
In reply to Wendy Watthews:

This is a recent review of 'tough' cameras. Climbing and beach activities can demand a lot of a camera in terms of punishment. Always feels good to know that the camera was designed for the job and can absorb it as well as take good photos.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-waterproof-tough-cameras-2014...

Hope it helps.
 Mike-W-99 29 May 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Interesting, the "top" camera exhibits the same dreadful image quality that a lot of the low end panasonics seem to have (zoom in on the dog in hires). Not sure how the testing was done?
 sbc_10 30 May 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Yes, that dog shot resolution is poor. The Nikon 1 AW1 is much crisper but you would expect it with an interchangeable lens. The Canon does well.
Maybe a result of the 'tough' camera layout. Small aperture lens with all optical movement inside the camera housing.
 Mark Kemball 30 May 2014
In reply to Wendy Watthews:

Well, I'm very happy with my Olympus Tough TG 830 (as recommended when I asked the same question on this forum last autumn). http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=564247&v=1#x7507221
Removed User 30 May 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:
Ditto. Buttons can be a bit fiddly with gloves but for when it's soaking or I'm out on the pish or at the the beach or on a boat with the kids it's my go to camera.

Correction it was TG 820 I got, but much the same, I managed to pick up one cheap on eBay.
Post edited at 08:50
 John Kelly 30 May 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:

i prefer my old 'tough' the 830 is bigger and doesn't have the auto lense cover of old one, retrograde in those dept though pic quality and function has improved
 dek 31 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Be really handy having a tough compact that shoots Raw files too, so you can 'rescue' an image taken in less than ideal conditions, rather than be stuck with just a Jpeg?
 Mike-W-99 31 May 2014
In reply to dek:

It's possible on a canon d10 with the chdk firmware. Still the best 'tough' compact I've used.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...