UKC

Kiteskiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 29 May 2014
I've been thinking for a while that it would be good fun to try using a kite to aid ski touring (partly because I'm lazy and like the idea of being pulled up a hill by a kite!). Is this feasable? I know that you can kite ski on a frozen lake, but has anyone had any experience of kite skiing over the Scottish highlands? How easy is it to pick up, and to ski uphill?

I'm thinking of purchasing a power kite and learning to fly it over the summer, so when winter comes I'll have the skills to actually fly the thing. Anyone know what size kite would be best? Any other tips?

Cheers,
Mike
 girlymonkey 29 May 2014
In reply to MikeR:

There were guys doing it in Glenshee this winter, heres the thread where I offered them pictures, you could contact them for more info http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=581237&v=1#x7704905
OP MikeR 29 May 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks, at least that suggests it is possible. Cheers.
OP MikeR 30 May 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Bump. Anyone else had a go at this?
 Shani 30 May 2014
In reply to MikeR:
> (In reply to MikeR)
>
> Bump. Anyone else had a go at this?

I have a plan to start kitesurfing this summer over in Hunstanton. If/as/when I master this skill I have every intention of kite(snow)boarding in the Peak.

I have seen Stanage Moor covered in deep snow over the past decade and it has always appealed to me to try and kite over it on my snowboard. I'm not sure of its feasibility or legality, but that is one massive open space.

PM if you want to hook up and join me in this madness!
 deepstar 30 May 2014
In reply to MikeR:

yhm
OP MikeR 30 May 2014
In reply to Shani:

Kite boarding across Stanage sound fun. If I head down that way in the depths if winter I'll give you a shout. Our let me know if you plan on trying it up in Scotland sometime.
OP MikeR 30 May 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Cheers, have sent a reply.
 Shani 30 May 2014
In reply to MikeR:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> Kite boarding across Stanage sound fun. If I head down that way in the depths if winter I'll give you a shout. Our let me know if you plan on trying it up in Scotland sometime.

I'll see how I get on after summer and if my skills are up to it, I'll be in touch!
 Frank4short 31 May 2014
In reply to MikeR:

> I'm thinking of purchasing a power kite and learning to fly it over the summer, so when winter comes I'll have the skills to actually fly the thing.

You'll need to learn how to fly the kite with some sort of board/buggy/etc as learning how to just fly the kite and learning how to pull yourself along are 2 quite different skill sets. Plus if you're really serious about it you'll need at least a couple of different size kites for different wind conditions though i suspect that can come later if you can manage alright with just 1 for starters
 Kimono 31 May 2014
In reply to MikeR:

I would suggest learning to actually kite surf over the summer and then you will pick up kite skiing much quicker.

(a kitesurfer)
OP MikeR 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Frank4short:

Hmm, good point about learning how to fly a kite while moving. Looks like this could be a bit more pricey than I intially thought.
 Guy 01 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Completely possible and regularly done but getting the right conditions is not easy. For example to ski up a hill you will need the hill to be facing into wind and the wind to be the right strength for the kite(s) you have. Mountain wind is almost always gusty so you have the added danger of being lofted unintentionally if you do not know what you are doing.

As has been said you need to practice in the most stable conditions you can find i.e. a steady breeze coming off the sea on to a beach.

Also please do not rock up to a beach with a power kite and just give it a go especially if there are people around. I ended up in hospital when a lad got it wrong in Tarifa (strong winds) and his kite lines raked across my neck and stomach. The lines are like cheese wire when loaded. It only takes a couple of accidents like those to get kites banned from beaches.

btw I have kitesurfed for 14 years and still haven't had the right conditions to get up in the Peak. Last time on Mam Tor it was too light at the bottom but by the time I toured to the top it was blowing a hooley! Very annoying!
 Petekitso 02 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Pricey is right - ideally you would be looking at a 10m depowerable foil. For stability and relatively low lift, the best is probably whatever the current version of the ozone access is (may be called the access xc now). Kite plus harness is going to be around a grand. In terms of the learning curve, it's learn to fly the kite static, then scudding (being dragged around on your heels, lots of fun on beaches, avoid wet grass to begin with) and jumping, the learn to fly when mobile (mountain boards are another £300) then mobile in the hills where the gradients add complexity and wind can tend to behave oddly. The first couple of stages are pretty straightforward, the third I never managed. Google snow kiting to see what's possible.
 jepotherepo 02 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Theres a lot to learn....
I learnt to fly a kite static dragging myself about the beach - not too expensive to get a ram air 3msq kite (eg HQ Beamer). Do it. Its lots of fun, even if there never is enough snow in the peak!

You dont have to go all out buying a boot full of kitesurfing kit. The smaller land based ram air style often use quad line handles with no need for a harness.

BKSA also produce a good book explaining how kites behave whilst youre moving!

I also fancy touring with a kite but not sure very feasible in the peak!
Good luck
 butteredfrog 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Petekitso:

10m, bl**dy hell!

I was talking to a Spanish speedwing flyer yesterday, his rig was only 9m.
 Petekitso 02 Jun 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

Just to be clear, I am certainly not recommending a kitesurfing kite. Some of the professionals use them on land but unless you want to have a kite which can do both you're better off with a depowerable foil (which are ram air kites.

I would go for a bar over handles because if you are doing it for any length of time, you will need to use bodyweight rather than just arms. To do that with quad handles you link the top of the handles with a strop line. If you stack it and need to ditch the kite because, say, you are being towed on your back towards a rocky outcrop, that is very difficult to do. A bar tends to have at least two emergency release options which can be very helpful. A bar is also a simpler control option overall.

On size, 10m with depower is about right for snow. All of the manufacturers have charts which point you to the right size for activity. Obviously possible to have a lot of fun with different set ups, I have spent happy days with a sledge and a stack of 6ft power kites but it is not the most efficient way of getting about . . .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...