UKC

pico de aneto, pyrenees info please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tallsop 31 May 2014
Hi guys, has anyone done this? Is the glacier crossing a difficult/dangerous undertaking in august? Ive not done any glacier crossings before, but have about 5/6months experience on vfs and walks in the dollies, so am ok with the terrain minus these glacial jobbies! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks, tom
 Pyreneenemec 31 May 2014
In reply to tallsop:

Easiest solution is to climb Aneto from the south, usually just steep névé underneath the Collado Coranas. Much better than going with the crowds from the Renclusa. Use the Ballierbierna piste ( walk or mini-bus) from the valley. The first small lake at 2200m is a great spot to bivvy.

sbc_10 31 May 2014
 Pyreneenemec 31 May 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

I remember on one occasion, a young Spanish lad, in shorts and trainers going for a very long slide just above the Collado Coranas. Not life threatening but he didn't half burn his thighs ! Gave his dad a good verbal bollocking. They had followed me up from the first lake. I had no idea they were going to the summit, dressed for the beach !
OP tallsop 31 May 2014
In reply to tallsop:

Ha. Great tips thanks guys I appreciate it! Will definitely look at the route from the south, getting away from crowds is very appealing!
 Gav M 31 May 2014
In reply to tallsop:

We did a traverse from Renclusa to Coranas. In October. No crowds. Roped up for glacier, though not difficult.
 JJL 01 Jun 2014
In reply to tallsop:

Tons of threads on this.... Do a search

It's fine but better from the other side
 Carolyn 01 Jun 2014
In reply to tallsop:

My memory is that (from Reclusa in mid July) it was useful to have axe and/or crampons, so that you either don't slip in the first place, or have some means to stop yourself, or both - but little need to rope up. We certainly saw a runner doing it in trainers and flexible crampons. The path was well trodden and snow mainly mushy, but it's pretty steep off to the side (and harder snow in places) and you could slide a fair way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...