UKC

Data Connection for a Tablet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 31 May 2014
My smartphone is a monthly contract with O2(the phone is mine I just pay O2 for calls etc)

Could somebody please give me info about setting up data connection(3G)with a tablet. How would I go about it?

Thanks.
In reply to mypyrex:

I just bought a 3g sim card from a phone shop, pre-loaded with 1gb and put it in my tablet. You obviously need a 3g enabled device. I then just top it up when I need to £10 for 1gb. I only use it when I can't find any wifi and, as I have BT broadband at home, I have free access to their mobile wifi hot spots.
 lost1977 31 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

simplest idea is what mike suggests, its what i do with my Galaxy arse phone and Nexus 7 only real downside i find is it drains the phones battery faster
 Martin W 31 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex: As well as tethering over wifi you might want to try tethering over bluetooth:

http://www.scaine.net/site/2013/01/android-to-android-tethering-over-blueto...

This is how I surf from my wifi-only tablet via my Xperia phone. The tablet is running Cyanogenmod 10.2 (Android 4.3 Jelly Bean), the phone is running the stock Sony firmware (Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean).

In theory my mobile tariff doesn't allow tethering - if I try to set the phone up as a wifi hotspot, the tablet can connect but it doesn't get access to the Internet. Using bluetooth tethering, the tablet connects to the Internet just fine.

I suspect that the bluetooth tether is less battery-hungry than the wifi hotspot, though I'm not 100% certain of that. It does means that my phone is not advertising a wifi network to all and sundry - some client sites that I visit do not allow wifi hotspots at all, but are OK with bluetooth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...