UKC

Are you still using film?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 31 May 2014
I'm starting to see leica M6/M7 rangefinders at prices that I find acceptable. Yes I am fully aware of leica lens costs

Am concerned about going back to using a film camera after using digital since the launch of the Nikon D200.

No longer have a darkroom or the will to get one but do still have a Nikon Coolscan.

Anyone have any advice?
 IPPurewater 31 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

You could probably pick up a Mamiya 7 with lens for the price of one of these bodies.

If your scanner will handle medium format, you'd get a much better scan from the large format film.
OP Indy 31 May 2014
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thanks for that but my interest in medium format never really got past the lugging all the big, bulky and heavy gear around.
 SouthernSteve 31 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

You are lucky your Coolscan is still going - I wouldn't rely on that lasting forever. About 3 – 4 years of steady use in my hands. I can't imagine going back to scanning even one roll of film a week, it was such a pain and the few film scanners left have now reached exorbitant prices. I would stay digital and enjoy it. You could always get a Nikon DF if you want to look retro!
 Henry Iddon 31 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Do it. It'll improve your decision making for a start!

For BW Ilford do a great scan and print service.

Most labs will do process / print and scan.

You can't beat a hand print off a neg. It's called craft. I wait being shot down

I use -

http://www.robsara.co.uk for colour printing

http://www.imageblackandwhite.com

or

http://www.lighthousedarkroom.com

For Black and White

If you want to dabble yourself Ilford have recently set up a website that locates the nearest public or shared darkroom near to you >

http://www.localdarkroom.com/
Removed User 31 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

I still use it although mainly 120 and large format. I handprint both Colour and Black and White but thats due to being able to access both darkrooms as I teach on the Commercial BA Photography course. Students enjoy the film process and we get them using it in the first year although I have to occasionally encourage the use of more rolls of film! Alternative processes are also enjoying a rise in popularity over the last few years and its useful skill to have as it can command good prices for the prints. I do use digital too

I am occasionally tempted to get an M3 and a 50mm lens again.

dek 31 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Those £1 kids insulated lunch bags in Morrisons, are ideal for 5x4 film holders
Removed User 31 May 2014
In reply to dek:

indeed, I use the sandwich bags to keep the dust to a minimum between locations
 George Fisher 31 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Aside from my phone I only use film. I did go digital but it only lasted a year or so.

I've got an odd selection of 35mm, 120 and instant stuff, recently finished building a 6x17, yet to be tested. I just find film more fun and far less looking at computer screens.

I've toyed with getting a Leica but can't justify the price tag...yet.

dek 31 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Recently met a Polish photog, who walked the Pilgrims way to Santeago de Campostella with a traditional Japanes monk!
The monk carried nothing but the trad clothes he stood up in, the photographer had a MF Voitlander, and a Leica M9 and over a hundred rolls of 120 film, bivvi tent, mobile phone and some cash. They started from Paris, and it took about 3 months?...he has some stunning images, now being printed up huge, and posted back to Tokyo. He's about to do another pilgrimage in the ME, but this time he's taking a mamiya 7 system.
Film still lives!
Dorq 31 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Why not? What could be nicer than getting creative with a fine machine that is already manufactured and has been lovingly cared for by a rich amateur, now cheaper than you couldn't afford before? Perhaps only using one that a parent left behind for you - in answer to that.

There's a great rangefinder community online and in the physical world, as I am sure you've discovered. But there are plenty of other fine camera systems waiting to be bought and used again as well.

Perhaps processing in your kitchen and scanning would give you the most satisfaction. But if you are in a hurry, chromogenic b&w prints and scans, back in 2 days from Photoexpress in Hull (which you can later either darkroom print or IR hardware scan at home for the special ones) is also an option. Or colour done by Peak Imaging?

Since Galen Rowell made masterful pictures using 135, the equipment (scanners, film, lenses, cameras) has only improved. So the end-product quality is guaranteed, to that extent. The market for film products has 'consolidated' as well, and with things like Kickstarter and 3D Printing, who doubts that film will ever stop being made in this global world?

There are things you realise, or re-realise, using film, that you forget cannot be put into words. And like a lot of consumer experience, things have never been better.

As for the lack of 'instant' feedback in terms of exposure, capture, and quality, you might find that it is no longer as important as it seemed: you are probably a better, more confident photographer, and you might be more patient.

Do it; you won't look back, except in awe.

Jon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...