UKC

Larks Foot question.........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Piers Harley 31 May 2014
is it advisable/safe to larks foot a replacement sling on to a cam device such as an Alien?
mike.gore 31 May 2014
In reply to Piers Harley:

I think not. I would recommend to resling it somewhere with full strength sewn sling.
 Choss 31 May 2014

Wouldnt be ideal i would have Thought.

Can you not simply Clip a quickDraw to the Thumb Loop for now, Until you get it reslung?
OP Piers Harley 31 May 2014
Yeah I could do that although I'm sure that I've read somewhere that the sling spreads the load of fall across the wire loop more effectively that a metal crab? This is what led me the think that a QD sling "Larks Footed" in place of the original sling would be a viable option??

Choss 31 May 2014

> Yeah I could do that although I'm sure that I've read somewhere that the sling spreads the load of fall across the wire loop more effectively that a metal crab? This is what led me the think that a QD sling "Larks Footed" in place of the original sling would be a viable option??

I dont see how Clipping a krab to a cam wire Loop is any different to clipping one to a wire nut Loop?
 Choss 31 May 2014

Or just thread a small sling through the Loop and Clip both ends, then no Knot weakening things?
 floppers 01 Jun 2014

A larks foot using a 22kn sling should still be as strong as or close to a CCH aliens breaking strength of between 5 and 10kn.
There's a good video by DMM on the strength tests of larks foot and basket hitches using slings:

http://dmmclimbing.com/news/2011/12/improvisation-larks-foot-or-basket-hitc...

valjean 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/experience-story?cid=qc-labreslinging-c...

i have only one cam that doesnt have an original sling at the moment

ive chosen to use a sewn sling and clip both ends of the sling into a carabiner with the cam captured within. Not sure how this set up would hold up, but seems to be a better plan than a larks foot
 AlanLittle 02 Jun 2014
In reply to floppers:

> A larks foot using a 22kn sling should still be as strong as or close to a CCH aliens breaking strength of between 5 and 10kn.

Surely an original CCH Alien's breaking strength is between 0 and 10kn?

Even if a larksfoot reduces the strength of a sling by 50% you would probably break the cam before the sling if you took a big enough wipper on it.
 jkarran 02 Jun 2014

Realistically it's unlikely to be the weak link on an Alien.

Also you could just pass the sling through the cam and clip both loops. Alternatively just clip a draw to the wire loop.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...