UKC

SPA sessions - novice kits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 R4chC 31 May 2014
Hi all,

I was looking to take a couple of novice friends out as part of the SPA consolidation. The problem is that none of them have any kit. Whilst I have some to lend out I don't have shoes. In other peoples experience when you have done this have you just got people to wear trainers or are there some good places to hire shoes etc from for a day?

Thanks
 Billhook 31 May 2014
In reply to R4chC:

If they've not been climbing before it will hardly matter what they wear.

Trainers will do, so will walking footwear. Boots are perfectly fine and been used by hundreds if not thousands before the advent of plimsoles and climbing footwear in the 1960s
 Trangia 31 May 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

>

> Trainers will do, so will walking footwear.

Except on Southern Sandstone where such footwear should not be encouraged because it damages the rock and sets a bad example.

tri-nitro-tuolumne 31 May 2014
In reply to R4chC:

"If they've not been climbing before it will hardly matter what they wear."

+1

If / when you work as an SPA with kids, most of them will only be wearing trainers.
 Billhook 31 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Fair enough - hadn't considered that.
OP R4chC 31 May 2014
In reply to R4chC:

Thanks for the advice! Just wanted to check what other people would advise. With regards to harnesses - mine and my bfs are both small harnesses, including my spare. Would anyone recommend a place to hire out harnesses if larger sizes are required? Both of mine have quite a small range of adjustment.
 jwa 31 May 2014
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:
> If / when you work as an SPA with kids, most of them will only be wearing trainers.

Or wellingtons!

Not sure where you can hire harnesses from. Where are you based?

Billhook 31 May 2014
In reply to R4chC:

You could always tie them directly into the rope! I guess you'll simply be top roping?
OP R4chC 01 Jun 2014
Based in Surrey but could pick something up on the day near the peaks/other areas if anyone has any recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...