UKC

Stiff Camalot ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarahjk 01 Jun 2014
Just sorting my rack from a holiday in Scotland and one of my quadcams, a Camalot 1 is very stiff and 'jumpy'. Is it ok to just put some bike chain lube on it, then clean up any excess. It is a pretty old cam, but not seen a whole heap of action until recently.

Thanks in advance

Sarah
In reply to sarahjk:

Rinse it off with some soap and warm water, allow to dry and apply A bit of GT85 to the moving parts - it will sort it right out!

Don't use WD40 or other oil-based products as these tend to attract more dirt.
 CurlyStevo 01 Jun 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I find finish line dry is very good similar to gt85 but more lubricating and less cleaning action. HB used to advise it to lube their cams. I agree whilst wd40 is advised by WC and it doesn't harm climbing gear it's not as good either. I don't like the waxy Metolius cam lube as I find it gunks up the springs.
 MischaHY 01 Jun 2014
In reply to sarahjk:

I use finish line wet lube on mine, it's a slightly thicker lubricant which is good as it means that any dirt that gets in the springs will bunch up and then fall off rather than just sticking to the lube.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> Don't use WD40 or other oil-based products as these tend to attract more dirt.

I think this is a long running debate, but:

Down here in Cornwall, we (I) use WD40 to drive out particulate matter (sand). Personally, I then wrap bog roll into the spaces between cams, to soak up excess oil. Whilst it might attract some dirt, here on the coast it definitely repels salty air.

Stiff cams are generally stiff through gumming-up of non-loaded parts. Not usually a reason to bin the gear.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...