UKC

Utter utter noob at 45.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Zanx 01 Jun 2014
Ok, deep breath. I bought a flat in Piedmonte in Italy and it's practically on top of Rocca dei Corvi, Bagnasco, the area around Ormea and a tonne of other apparently wicked climbs according to my mate who loves climbing. After a dabble with a via ferrata I appear to have the bug. Here is the question.

1) About 13 years ago, I broke my shoulder and wrist pretty badly, shoulder still has pins and wire in it, wrist recovered pretty much entirely. The shoulder is still really weak and lacks a full range of movement, is climbing likely to add strength or bugger things up? I'd really like to pull my finger out and start getting the muscles back into some semblance of order but don't want to go tearing them up.

Luckily I cycle right past Mile End wall during the week and am 25 miles away from Peterborough at the weekend so this looks to have all the makings of quite a bit of fun!
 jepotherepo 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Zanx:

Why would climbing be bad? If you combine a graduated increase in load used by your shoulder along with stretching exercise and maybe some physio advice you may improve the function of your shoulder. Your previous surgery may limit you somewhat wrt to range of movement/pain but youre not going to know unless you try. This long after surgery any strength of an surgical fix is not going to get any better however if this is your main concern you'll have to contact an orthopaedic surgeon!

You'll just have to concentrate on having good footwork and not just relying on your arms like many of us are guilty of!
 Firestarter 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Zanx:

Still really weak after 13 years? Two things spring to mind. Exercise not targeted at that particular area. If it has, unlikely it will improve or worsen with climbing, so give it a go.
 MaranaF 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Zanx:

Get on and climb! I have a simular injury, right sholder, collar bone, ribs, arm, elbow etc from a motorbike accident about ten years ago.It will not stop you from climbing but you might develop your own 'style' to overcome the weakness!

Enjoy.
Zanx 01 Jun 2014
In reply to MaranaF:

Mine was also bike. Glad you found a way round it, that's what I'll probably have to do.
 Rob Parsons 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Zanx:

> ... I'd really like to pull my finger out and start getting the muscles back into some semblance of order but don't want to go tearing them up.

If you're interested, go for it! Just listen to your body and moderate as necessary.

We all have injuries, and/or aches and pains - nothing's ever perfect - so just accept it, work around it, and - most importantly - have fun.

Zanx 03 Jun 2014
Well, got 6 hours booked in over the weekend at Mile End Wish me luck.
 dale1968 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Zanx:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=126191 have a look at his profile phot, he climbs very well
Zanx 04 Jun 2014
In reply to dale1968:

Ouch! Collar bone?
 dale1968 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Zanx:

> Ouch! Collar bone?

yes, mountain biking
Zanx 05 Jun 2014
In reply to dale1968:

Mate of mine uses the wall at Nottingham and there's a chap there with less than the ideal amount of arms who does very well indeed so it's probably just a case of adapting.
Zanx 07 Jun 2014
Well, day 1 at Mile End was....well let's just say I'm hooked. Who could have imagined that a wall with lumps on could be so much fun!

Day 2 tomorrow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...