UKC

Recommend a 1.5-2kg 2-person tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alps_p 02 Jun 2014
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for such a tent. I'd like it to pitch relatively easily, and sleep 2 reasonably comfortably, but I haven't really got any specific requirements other than the weight. This would be for general camping and backpacking, more extreme use such as camping on glaciers is possible but not a priority.

I'd like it to be as light as possible, I've read about some of the tents that are under 1kg but got the impression that durability would be seriously affected at such a low weight; realistically then I think 1.5kg is probably as low as I could go.

thanks
 PPP 02 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

For general camping, a Force Ten Helium 2 would be more than enough (the same design as Terra Nova Laser Comp, WC Zephyros, etc). I use Force Ten Helium 1 (or 100 - it's the same model but they renamed it) which is very nice and they definitely have better customer service than Wild Country. It needs some skill to pitch, but it is very straightforward and the outer pitches together with inner.

Someone will definitely recommend Tarptent Scarp 2. With two additional poles, it seems, the tent is very durable. For better weather/lower altitude, one main pole is enough. However, it is difficult to find one in store, so you will have to get it online.

If you can afford Hilleberg tents... Look at them.
 JuneBob 02 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

I have this one:
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL2

I'm happy with it. I always use the footprint, which I'll only leave behind if weight is critical.
 london_huddy 02 Jun 2014
In reply to JuneBob:

Another vote the Seedhouse.
Cracking tent and lovely and light. Only issue is that to get the weight down, the inner is all mesh which does get draughty. Only a downside if you're cold but if you want to avoid condensation and keep cool in summer, it's great!

(You and I must be about the only UK users, I've not seen another!).
 Street 02 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

I've used a Vaude Power Lizard for the last couple years. It's big enough for me and the gf when I can drag her out and has loads of space for me on my own. It packs down tiny and weighs absolutely nothing. I've never had any durability problems and it's taken a hammering in some wind and rain up high in Snowdonia. I did replace the pegs though as the supplied ones aren't the best. The only downside is the price!
OP alps_p 02 Jun 2014
In reply to JuneBob:

this looks like a great tent. Where did you two buy it from? I can't see any UK sites that would sell it, apart from ebay.
OP alps_p 02 Jun 2014
In reply to PPP:

this is a good list to choose from. I have
WC Zephyros (different versions, e.g. I like Zephyros 2 XL Lite - 1.79kg, £250, or Zephyros 2 Lite, 1.4kg / £200)
Terra Nova Laser Comp 2 (1.25kg, £350)
Force Ten Helium (1.43kg, £270)
Vaude Power Lizard (~1kg, £320)

Seedhouse looks great but I can't find a retailer based in the UK.
thanks for all the suggestions, it'll be a tough choice now!
P
 JuneBob 02 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

I bought it in MEC canada. I guess it helps I went out there
They might do delivery to the UK, or maybe you know someone who lives in the US or Canada, or is going there?
 gammarus 02 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

I've been very pleased with my Terra Nova Voyager Superlite - it's been excellent for backpack trips - have a look on Ebay for a good deal

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/superlite-voyager-te...

Cheers
 PPP 03 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

Well, if you consider Terra Nova Laser Comp 2, it might be worth checking Force Ten Helium 2 Carbon which weighs 1000g (or maybe 950g). Of course, Carbon poles and titanium pegs are used to make it lighter, but the flysheet and groundsheet are very lightweight, too. It costs 295 pounds on one online store.

Personally, I wouldn't bother about lighter flysheet/groundsheet as 15D/20D nylon sounds a little bit too extreme for worse conditions (rock ground, high winds, light snow).
 Pina 03 Jun 2014
In reply to PPP:

Check out the MSR Nook. 1.6kg, pretty spacious. Only downside is the inner first setup. However it pays off with the amazing ventilation. I've not had any condensation yet.
OP alps_p 03 Jun 2014
In reply to PPP:

this is a good suggestion but isn't Helium 2 15D/20D nylon?
 PPP 03 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

Carbon is a lite/light version.
http://www.forcetentents.com/helium-2.html - 20D/70D, 1430g, 270 pounds
http://www.forcetentents.com/helium-carbon-200.html - 15D/20D, 1000g, 440 pounds
OP alps_p 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Street:

did you get the Vaude Power LIzard 1-2P, or 2-3P?
 Dauphin 04 Jun 2014
In reply to london_huddy:
I've used the Big Agnes SL2 and owned a SL1, both cracking tents - couldn't recommend them enough. But like anything there are compromises. They are a bit chilly and I wouldn't want to camp in winter in the U.K. in them.

MSR Nook is also a good tent - bit more study, has vents and better design for pitching on small spots without pegging it with guys.

D

P.S. ultralightoutdoorgear.com for Big Agnes stuff.
Post edited at 16:02
 Street 04 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

Mine is the 1-2P, didn't even realise they made a bigger one!
OP alps_p 04 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

just out of curiosity, I realise that these tents are mostly suited for lightweight backpacking, but would any such lightweight tent be OK for the occassional night on the glacier, e.g. camping on Col du Midi?
 Pedro50 04 Jun 2014
In reply to london_huddy:

> Another vote the Seedhouse.

> (You and I must be about the only UK users, I've not seen another!).

No another vote from me, great tent light, quick to pitch, although I did finally snap a pole in Llanberis last year. Usde for backpacking, cycle touring and apres pub
OP alps_p 11 Jun 2014
In reply to alps_p:

I couldn't get hold of Big Agnes Seedhouse, I wouldn't have the time to order from the US, and I decided to place an order for Vaude Power Lizard 2-3p.
Thanks to everyone for taking their time to reply.
In reply to alps_p:

North Face Tadpole? 2kg I think?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...