UKC

How much to sell my old MTB for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 02 Jun 2014
Crowd sourcing market info here! Before an impending international house move, I think I'm going to try and sell my mtb, but I don't really have any idea what a fair price is for a well used but well loved bike.

It's a Kona Blast from about 05 or 06. Classic simple, not very flashy XC hardtail - but a proper mountain bike that I've done loads of singletrack and trail riding on. Most of the drive train has been replaced in the last year or three: back cassette, chain, crankset, front mech, BB. It was Deore to start with, now with some mixed in Alivio bits which are easier to get over here. I replaced the original crappy cable discs with Hayes Nine hydraulics which are great.

It looks well used (it is!) but mechanically it's sound and runs rather well, the gears clank and clonk like basic gears do but change reliably and quickly when you hit a sharp uphill etc. I'm sure in the UK there is a much bigger second hand market than here in Finland ,so I might be able to charge a bit more here than I could sell if for in Britain - but does €150 (so a bit over 100 quid) sound outrageously expensive or stupidly cheap?
 Bob 02 Jun 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I read somewhere about pricing 2nd hand bikes: halve the purchase price after the first year then deduct 10% per year thereafter. Ultimately though you get what someone's willing to pay/haggle, some of the classic designs go for "lots" even if it's just the frame that's left.
 blurty 02 Jun 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Value sounds about right to me

Where are you moving to?
OP TobyA 02 Jun 2014
In reply to blurty:

> Where are you moving to?

It seems that Sheffield is going to have put up with me for at least a year! I'm figuring once I've saved a bit I'll be able to get a new mtb from Planet X or Decathlon etc. Much keener price competition on bikes in the UK than here in Helsinki anyway.
OP TobyA 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

Cheers Bob - my guess at a price would probably be quite close to your formula actually. It wasn't a super expensive bike to start of with, but has done me proud.
 Frank4short 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

> I read somewhere about pricing 2nd hand bikes: halve the purchase price after the first year then deduct 10% per year thereafter.

Actually it's 20% but after 3 or 4 years and some significant upgrades/replacements that becomes pretty meaningless as it's only a rule of thumb.
OP TobyA 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Frank4short:

> and some significant upgrades/replacements that becomes pretty meaningless

I also have my old commuter to sell, a Felt Hybrid, which having not been crashed into trees, rocks, dirt banks, snow drifts (and yesterday, to be different, a football shortly followed by a teenager) as my Kona has it looks much smarter and less used despite having done many many more kilometres. But I need to replace bits of the drive train on that before I can sell it in good conscience, so when I decide what the price will be for that I guess quite a lot will just be covering the costs of those replacement parts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...