UKC

Dewerstone deforestation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Merlin 02 Jun 2014
Who ever carried out the clear up of the gully left of Vineyard at Dewerstone, I commend your effort!

I've been musing for a few years that the crag needed a napalm strike. Just needs 100 people scrubbing the thing with wire wool now to finish the job!
 james mann 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Merlin:

You can't be serious can you? The cleaning around that gully area is little more than vandalism, especially the way that the tree at the bottom of colonel's arĂȘte has been hacked away and then left all over the bottom of the crag. Like it or not this is a tree which has fresh flowers placed on it each week; think about why that might be! Whoever has been cleaning in this stupid piecemeal way needs to remember that the Dewerstone is owned and managed I think by the National Trust (don't quote me on that though) and that this kind of indiscreet hacking away in obvious areas could have the effect of jeopardising future access, not to mention destroying habitats and looking f***ing awful. I am in agreement that certain routes do need a clean. I have cleaned La Bete Noire up on the upper buttresses and have also climbed a new line up there this week as well as helping to clean a new line climbed by Will Hornby. Whilst these lines have involved some removal of vegetation it nothing compared to the ill considered hacking away down at the bottom. If people do wish to clean some things then there is loads of stuff on the upper buttresses to go at.

James Mann
 jsmcfarland 02 Jun 2014
In reply to mann9076:

I think the OP was being sarcastic, though I may be wrong
 Nick GP 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Merlin:
Clean up!? The way this botch job has been undertaken is apalling. If everyone went about cleaning stuff in that manner at the Dewerstone there would be no bushes or trees left at the crag.

What on earth was the purpose of cutting down the tree next to Colonels Arret? It wasnt in the way of the route? I can't think of any reason to justify the destruction done. The routes listen in the guide for the area "cleaned" have no stars and are very very short. Surely when they have been left to become so overgrown there is a reason for it.

The only way that what has been done is acceptable is if it has been undertaken by the management of the land. If not, to the people who felt the need to trash the Dewerstone, please conduct all further attempt at landscaping on your own propery!

Nick
Post edited at 20:32
 The Pylon King 02 Jun 2014
In reply to mann9076:

Shaugh Prior Woods is a SSSI
 Tom Last 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Yeah have to agree this has been seriously f*cked up, looks like an avalanche has swept down it.
 Bulls Crack 02 Jun 2014
In reply to mann9076:

The woods are also a SSSI and Special Area of Conservation. Natural England would take a very dim view of anyone practising amateur forestry - should they find out who it is
In reply to Merlin:

Dewerstone being a place that is very special to me, I have felt, for a while now, that the area was suffering from excessive wear and tear. I've not been there for a while and I'm not sure I want to see if it's as bad as it sounds.
 grump gnome 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Oh great! Random vandalism to a SSSI, that is owned by the National Trust, by climbers. That should keep the access sweet!!!
 Tom Last 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Merlin:
To be fair, it's not necessarily by climbers. A lot of vegetation has been stripped, leaving just loose soil and random branches (whole trees!) chopped for no apparent reason; certainly doesn't seem to be of benefit to any of the routes thereabouts. Anyway, whoever's gone to town on it, it looks like a lot of work/vandalism. I'm not sure why any climber would bother. There again, there doesn't seem to be any other purpose to it either.
Post edited at 08:25
In reply to Tom Last:
> (In reply to Merlin) To be fair, it's not necessarily by climbers. A lot of vegetation has been stripped, leaving just loose soil and random branches (whole trees!) chopped for no apparent reason; certainly doesn't seem to be of benefit to any of the routes thereabouts. Anyway, whoever's gone to town on it, it looks like a lot of work/vandalism. I'm not sure why any climber would bother. There again, there doesn't seem to be any other purpose to it either.

Anyone got pictures?
 d_b 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

I'm not sure who else would bother to go up that gully at all, but I do see your point. I do have my eye on one route up there, but only because of its sheer awfulness. It's certainly not worth gardening for.
 Bulls Crack 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Maybe it is in fact conservation management - juts not completed yet? Thinking back to Dovedale 15/20 years ago - that looked bad at first
 andrewmc 17 Jun 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:
I have only been up that gully (of apparent certain death and horror, desperately hoping to get to and clip the next tree before sliding down in a torrent of mud and bits of tree) to get to the magnificent 'route' The Tunnel. After getting up the gully the route itself seems much less terrifying...

It did seem like there was a kind of 'dam' of dead bits of tree and shrubbery in the gully which made access very unpleasant. Removing all the dead stuff would presumably not be an issue, but chopping down random trees sounds very dubious - is there only damage in the Main Gully area?
Post edited at 19:46
 d_b 18 Jun 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

How did you know I was interested in "The Tunnel"?

I only saw damage around main gully. Certainly nothing around the Needle Buttress area, but I didn't visit the area to the left.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...